Menu

Pneumonia & the asthmatic kid

heartosunshine

Scary.  and such a pain.  Keep up with the albuterol religiously around the clock, even overnight.  (I know, I'm a terrible slacker when it comes to getting up in the night for that, but if you can swing it, it's so worth it.)

On the upside, you're not at the hospital :)

Must say that I am impressed. One of the ways we figured out my dc had asthma was because she came down with pneumonia at least once a year. Even now, while being treated for asthma, she still gets it every couple of years. I thought it was just part of the "norm". It is awful to watch them suffer. Hope yours is soon on the mend!

I'm sorry.  :grouphug:  My daughter started getting bronchitis about once a year, and then pneumonia, and it still took a few years for the asthma part to come to the surface.  It was scary!  Learning what your child's various triggers are will help a lot.  I really had to push my daughter into getting into the habit of ALWAYS carrying her albuterol inhaler on her, even when she felt fine, because an attack can come on fast.  (Such as the time we toured an old iron ore ship and went into its hold.)  The other thing (and this sounds kind of strange) was for both of us to learn to not be polite about it!  If she felt it coming on, she had to not be embarrassed to stop whatever she was doing and be treated.  An example of this is when she was giving an acceptance speech for a scholarship she received from the VFW.  It was in the old VFW building, which was full of old cigarette smoke.  She was on the stage in front of about 200 people, sitting at the head table about to give her speech.  She suddenly looked at me with a panicked look in her eyes, and I could tell she was having an attack.  I signaled for her to get off the stage so we could get out, fast, (I was in the back of the audience), but she was embarrassed to do that.  When she put her hand to her throat, I made a dramatic run across the audience to the stage, practically dragged her off, and then to the car.  I called home to have my other daughter get her nebulizer ready, and we were home in 3 minutes.  (It's a small town.  :))

If it's any reassurance, her asthma has improved SO MUCH since those days!  She's 25 now, rarely needs her inhaler, and is no longer on preventative meds.  She knows her triggers and stays away from them, but I also think her body has outgrown some of it.