Menu

Work Text for physical science?

MamaSprout

We have had excellent luck with Math Mammoth and Lively Latin (we will finish both within 12 month, probably less). CAP W&R layout works for Dc, too (although the binding not so much).

Is there a Physical Science work text I've over looked? Or Physics or Chemistry? Dc does very well with science, but doesn't yet do well with "read the chapter and answer the questions." I realize we need to get there. I'd like to squeak out a year of science in a work text, if possible, while she adds in labs and math.

ETA another book working really well for DC is Understanding Geometry: http://www.criticalthinking.com/understanding-geometry.html

The lab I'm considering: http://www.qualitysciencelabs.com/physical-science-labs/microphysci-kit-standard-edition/

What I've found for work texts (where the writing and reading are combined) for 7th grade +

http://www.timberdoodle.com/Interactive_Science_Physical_Science_Grades_6_to_8_p/170-508.htm

And

http://www.cstephenmurray.com/worksheets.htm#ch3

Anything else? Any experience with either of these?

Thanks!

I am not sure this is a useful suggestion, but would something like Science Daybook work?  They have a physical science one, and it is a read and answer questions type workbook.  I have to admit that my kids haaaaaated it, lol. It is very 'school workbook' type of thing. It does try to hit the subject from a variety of angles and for some kids that is a good thing. It had things like read this article and answer questions, do a crossword puzzle, write about a personal experience with gravity, write a poem, etc etc. It was not our cup of tea, even though it came highly recommended by a friend I really trust.

And what about science detective? It covers a variety of subjects (life, earth science, physical) in one book but I have found it to be useful for what it sets out to do. It is a reading comprehension program that uses science as the material. You read a brief article on the topic and then answer specific questions. You have to give the specific sentence or paragraph that has your answer so it requires careful reading. It isn't a substitute for a science text or anything like that. We use it once a week and one workbook seems to last about 2 school years. We have found it to be a nice enrichment/skill breakout workbook.

I have to admit that my kids haaaaaated it, lol. It is very 'school workbook' type of thing.

LOL. I think it would be the same here. Poetry is good, but not in our science book.

She really is a science-y kid. She wants to do real Chemistry. With a real lab manual. Which is cool, but she hasn't has Algebra yet. She's done pretty much every elementary and middle school science demo you can do/ see/ try without getting into "real" science with "real" math.

I like Hewitt's Conceptual books, but I'd like to have answers. Also, something that doesn't avoid the math part. I'm unclear about how much math is in Hewitt's. I can get the Conceptual Chemistry book at the Library tomorrow, so I'll be able to check out the inside of a student text.

I found this, but I could spend lots of money buying books I can't see the inside of, only to find out it's just like boring worksheets I can find for free online.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321776569/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p14_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0PCD4Y4N8FM90SPBDJ8R&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1970559082&pf_rd_i=desktop

She wants to do real Chemistry. With a real lab manual. Which is cool, but she hasn't has Algebra yet.

You might want to check out Illustrated guide to home chemistry experiments at the library as well. It's a nicely written guided approach to lab work. Didn't see any algebra required

Book link

http://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Guide-Home-Chemistry-Experiments/dp/0596514921

Kit needed in an old informative thread

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/474133-buying-chemicals-and-equipment-for-the-illustrated-guide-to-home-chemistry-experiments/

Maybe Friendly Chemistry would fit the bill?

http://smile.amazon.com/Friendly-Chemistry-Student-Guide-Learning/dp/145651136X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423758482&sr=8-1&keywords=friendly+chemistry

It's not a worktext, but it is friendly--duh! T is going to use it for Landry Academy's middle school level chemistry class in May. That course will include labs and I'll post a review after. They offer the class during the regular school year too as a semester long intro to chemistry. Friendly Chemistry is a lite high school text, so it's probably about the right level for what you're looking for.

There's also a free, at your own pace Chemistry class at the Virtual Homeschool Group that uses Apologia's first or second edition high school book. End of Ordinary used the Apologia book with her middle school son and gave it a positive review. I think I might use this over the summer with T if she decides to enroll in LA's high school chem class which uses Spectrum Chemistry. That one got good reviews on the pinned Chemistry thread at the high school board. The Apologia first edition text (which is all you need if you do the VHSG class) runs about $5 shipped, so it's a low risk purchase.

Good luck finding something that fits! And if you do, please post a review, I might be in the market next year.

You might want to check out Illustrated guide to home chemistry experiments at the library as well. It's a nicely written guided approach to lab work. I think the author sells the kit for the book. Didn't see any algebra required

Book link

http://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Guide-Home-Chemistry-Experiments/dp/0596514921

Kit link

http://www.thehomescientist.com/kits/CK01/ck01-main.html

This is kind of embarrassing, but I actually own that book. I picked it up at a used book sale, and I'm not sure I even looked into it until now. I think I'll need to see if I can wrap my brain around it. Have you used it?

I think I'll need to see if I can wrap my brain around it. Have you used it?

The easier ones we have done at home. I do have a good stockpile of common lab equipment at home from school supply store.

The harder ones in terms of equipment/chemicals that I haven't purchase, my older boy has done some in his homeschool science class for 5th/6th graders.

Julie of KY has been using this book to teach. The link thread has the information on what to get.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/474133-buying-chemicals-and-equipment-for-the-illustrated-guide-to-home-chemistry-experiments/

ETA:

The kit link in my 1st post was wrong for the book so I have amended it.

ETA:

The labs were similar to what I did in public school in 7th grade so I was comfortable with my kids doing and me looking on.

Have you looked at Walch Power Basics? No personal experience, but I've read here that they're intended for remedial high school and could easily work for on-level middle school as well. They have student worktexts, workbooks, and teacher guides for both Chemistry and Physics (and other subjects). You can see samples here: http://walch.com/power-basics-text-books/

You might want to check out Illustrated guide to home chemistry experiments at the library as well. It's a nicely written guided approach to lab work. Didn't see any algebra required

Book link

Kit needed in an old informative thread

I see. The kit has it's own, much smaller manual in .pdf.

LOL. I think it would be the same here. Poetry is good, but not in our science book.

She really is a science-y kid. She wants to do real Chemistry. With a real lab manual. Which is cool, but she hasn't has Algebra yet. She's done pretty much every elementary and middle school science demo you can do/ see/ try without getting into "real" science with "real" math.

I like Hewitt's Conceptual books, but I'd like to have answers. Also, something that doesn't avoid the math part. I'm unclear about how much math is in Hewitt's. I can get the Conceptual Chemistry book at the Library tomorrow, so I'll be able to check out the inside of a student text.

I found this, but I could spend lots of money buying books I can't see the inside of, only to find out it's just like boring worksheets I can find for free online.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321776569/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p14_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0PCD4Y4N8FM90SPBDJ8R&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1970559082&pf_rd_i=desktop

I was in very much the same situation with my 7th grader. And, frankly, we crashed and burned. It was not a good year as far as science was concerned.  I ended up going with Derek Owens Physical Science for 8th grade. I bought the DVDs. He watched a lesson on the computer, while filling out the worksheets (that included the math). It doesn't have a lot of experiments..hardly any and we pretty much skipped them. By that time my son was in 8th grade and after the disaster that was 7th grade science he was just happy to have something workable, lol.

But, I could have added in some TOPS science units with not much fuss. He was so, so busy that year that I just let it go. We have done so much hands on over the years that I only feel a teeny bit guilty. Now he is in public high school and every other day is double science so he has plenty of science labs in his life for the next 4 years.

But, if you are considering Hewitt then maybe look to see if Derek Owens Physical Science would work. I had to do almost nothing once we had it in the house. It was kind of nice, actually.

http://www.lucideducation.com/?p=PhysicalScience.php

You can preview the course, he has the first two (?) chapters up and you can download the workbook and see how the whole thing works.

It's not the most riveting thing you have ever seen, lol. 

I was in very much the same situation with my 7th grader. And, frankly, we crashed and burned. It was not a good year as far as science was concerned. I ended up going with Derek Owens Physical Science for 8th grade. I bought the DVDs. He watched a lesson on the computer, while filling out the worksheets (that included the math). It doesn't have a lot of experiments..hardly any and we pretty much skipped them. By that time my son was in 8th grade and after the disaster that was 7th grade science he was just happy to have something workable, lol.

But, I could have added in some TOPS science units with not much fuss. He was so, so busy that year that I just let it go. We have done so much hands on over the years that I only feel a teeny bit guilty. Now he is in public high school and every other day is double science so he has plenty of science labs in his life for the next 4 years.

But, if you are considering Hewitt then maybe look to see if Derek Owens Physical Science would work. I had to do almost nothing once we had it in the house. It was kind of nice, actually.

http://www.lucideducation.com/?p=PhysicalScience.php

You can preview the course, he has the first two (?) chapters up and you can download the workbook and see how the whole thing works.

It's not the most riveting thing you have ever seen, lol.

Did you founder with Hewitt, or just 7th grade science? (Which I would totally understand!)

We have the DO PreA, and she says she prefers Math Mammoth 7. I may push the DO for a month or so just to see.

We are sort of already floundering this year for science... CPO Earth, and we just can't get into the labs- she's seen so much of it in real life (well, okay, not volcanos, but she went through an obsession with those when she was 6).

We're getting to the chapter on Biomes, and we'll probably spend the rest of the year tying up lose ends for life science/ ecology/ botany and maybe astronomy. But then next year? Even looking at Friendly Chemistry, she's done those labs- even the pressure bell Peep thing at STEM day camp.

What are the Labs for DO? Is there a list I missed?

Did you founder with Hewitt, or just 7th grade science? (Which I would totally understand!)

We have the DO PreA, and she says she prefers Math Mammoth 7. I may push the DO for a month or so just to see.

We are sort of already floundering this year for science... CPO Earth, and we just can't get into the labs- she's seen so much of it in real life (well, okay, not volcanos, but she went through an obsession with those when she was 6).

We're getting to the chapter on Biomes, and we'll probably spend the rest of the year tying up lose ends for life science/ ecology/ botany and maybe astronomy. But then next year? Even looking at Friendly Chemistry, she's done those labs- even the pressure bell Peep thing at STEM day camp.

What are the Labs for DO? Is there a list I missed?

To quote another hive member who gave me some good advice at the same stage: You have hit the math wall of science. (dum da dum dum DUMMMMM :lol: )

This is what can be frustrating about middle grade science. There is really only so much stuff to do without higher math and without starting high school science. Yes, I am sure your kid learned LOTS about earth science when she was 6 and was obsessed with rocks (or whatever) but there is really only so much that can be done at this age. It's not like when she was younger and every topic was new and exciting. It doesn't have to be old and boring either. No way! But it isn't going to be the same.

In TWTM, SWB suggests hands on, hands on and hands on for the middle grades, and having gone through years 5-8 once I think it is a solid suggestion.

One suggestions for science loving kids at this age is to have them work on a real experiment. The kind where they have to leave the house and monitor something. Or buy a book on science fair activities and have her pick one or two out to present. Your goal could be a couple long term projects a year that require hands on involvement and a certain amount of independence. If you look on Amazon for 'science fair projects' you will get a couple solid looking hits. If she has been to STEM camp then she has already seen more than most kids her age at public (and private) school. With that level of interest it might be time to let her run and present her own experiment.

And FWIW, I have a dear friend who was a great homeschooler who was such a good home science teacher she has gone back to school to be a professional science teacher. Even she says that middle grade science is tough. They are  halfway, capable of so much, but limited in some ways. She always tells me "Just keep the heart in it."

To quote another hive member who gave me some good advice at the same stage: You have hit the math wall of science. (dum da dum dum DUMMMMM :lol: )

This is what can be frustrating about middle grade science. There is really only so much stuff to do without higher math and without starting high school science. Yes, I am sure your kid learned LOTS about earth science when she was 6 and was obsessed with rocks (or whatever) but there is really only so much that can be done at this age. It's not like when she was younger and every topic was new and exciting. It doesn't have to be old and boring either. No way! But it isn't going to be the same.

In TWTM, SWB suggests hands on, hands on and hands on for the middle grades, and having gone through years 5-8 once I think it is a solid suggestion.

One suggestions for science loving kids at this age is to have them work on a real experiment. The kind where they have to leave the house and monitor something. Or buy a book on science fair activities and have her pick one or two out to present. Your goal could be a couple long term projects a year that require hands on involvement and a certain amount of independence. If you look on Amazon for 'science fair projects' you will get a couple solid looking hits. If she has been to STEM camp then she has already seen more than most kids her age at public (and private) school. With that level of interest it might be time to let her run and present her own experiment.

And FWIW, I have a dear friend who was a great homeschooler who was such a good home science teacher she has gone back to school to be a professional science teacher. Even she says that middle grade science is tough. They are halfway, capable of so much, but limited in some ways. She always tells me "Just keep the heart in it."

Well, I guess that brings me sort of full circle. My original thought was to do a lab kit, and then I kept thinking, "yah, but don't I need more?" I guess I really don't. She's in PreA now, so a lab kit or two and whatever we pick up at the library will be fine until we're ready to swim with big fish.

The volcano example was just to say that she had never seen a volcano IRL, but already understood the content of a middle school earth science book in regards to them. Didn't mean for it to come across otherwise. We took a trip to the mountains last summer and she literally had seen much of the other stuff in the labs. It seems silly to build an erosion table when you've seen where floods have wiped entire towns/ roads/ bridges out of a canyon.

It didn't come across as anything other than you have a bright science loving kid who is aware of the world around her.

This is part of why I went with Derek Owens for 8th grade. It is algebra based and he took it concurrently with algebra. I figured that was the time to introduce the math/science part of things.  It isn't exciting, but it did set him up nicely for his honours biology class at the public high school. He is doing a lot more math in life science than I ever did.