Menu

Transcript and use of asterisks/superscripts

I remember this being asked late last year but I can find the thread.  I'm preparing a transcript for DD for a summer program which is good practice for me.

DD has taken classes from four different online sources and at CC. What is the best way to show this without excess use of asterisks or superscripts?

If anyone has has a child's transcript with the same situation as my DD, would you be willing to share a scrubbed version?  DD's transcript will be listed by subject, not by year.

Thank you!

I used codes and there was a column on the transcript devoted to them.  A course could have up to three codes.  The first part of the code was a two letter designation for each school attended (including homeschool).  Every course had a code for that.  The second part of the code designated either that the class was taken in middle school, that it was a laboratory course, or both.

So the entries might look like this:

Course name/grade/credit/code

English/A/1.0/HB

Science at home/A/1.0/HB-LM

Science at private school/A/0.5/PS-L

Geometry/A/1.0/OS-M

HB=home-based instruction

PS=course taken at private school (the code was actually the initials of the name of the school)

OS=course taken at online school (same as above, code actually initials of name of school)

M=high school course taken in middle school

L=course included substantial laboratory work

I made a key similar to EKS and had a column designated for where classes were taken.  At the bottom of the transcript I had a very simple list of the full locations spelled out for each abbreviation. 

I used Home, four letters for the high school and four letters for the university.  Four letters happened to be perfectly descriptive.  :D

I made a simple, one line key at the bottom. I used * at the beginning of course titles which utilized an outside instructor and CC for courses taken at the community college.

We had about ten different outside sources, so it seemed like too much to list them all on the transcript. I did, however, list them in the course descriptions for each course.