Menu

Opera

Guest Streams5

What ages?

the Great Courses have a very nice course How to listen to and understand opera by Robert Greenberg - he is one of our favorite lecturers. But that woudl only work for older kids, elementary age would be bored.

Some of my favorite operas for kids are:

Haensel and Gretel (Humperdinck) - best opera for very young ones

Magic Flute (Mozart)

Rusalka (Dvorak)

Freischuetz (Weber).

They have a clear story with fairy tale elements, rather catchy tunes, and not too much that kids would not understand.

Of others, I would cover mainly selections, because most operas are too long in their entirety to hold a child's attention span.

I'd select some "best of" listening examples for each of the categories arias (all voices), duets/trios/quartets, chorus, but not necessarily from the same opera.

If at all possible, I'd give them a chance to have a live opera experience. It at least watch a video of a staged production.

ETA: My first and most powerful opera experience was Magic Flute when I was 5. I saw Rigoletto when I was 8 - not a "child themed" opera, but a great experience nonetheless. And "Carmen" as a young teen was great, too. And Tosca.

Opera is rather abstract - so it can work perfectly to pick a thrilling opera even if you would not otherwise choose the subject matter for your child. Somebody being killed in an opera is nowhere near as graphic as if it were depicted in a  movie.

I tried towards the end of the year last year and just didn't have enough time. I think in the end we spent a week in history reading the stories in this book http://www.amazon.com/Stories-Opera-Husain-Shahrukh/dp/1846860989/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423073252&sr=8-1&keywords=Stories+from+opera and summarizing one of them, along with watching some you tube excerpts from the most famous operas and writing a few biographical paragraphs on Wagner and some other famous composers. I wanted to actually see an opera too, but it never came to fruition. I hope you have better luck; we didn't have time to even skim the surface.

We study a little opera every year. My latest find is a vintage book Behind the Scenes at the Opera by Mary Fitch Watkins. We'll read it next year as part of art studies.

This year we're reading Operas Every Child Should Know by Dolores Bacon. 

There are tons of new and vintage books out there. Websites, dvds, opportunities, etc. are everywhere once you start looking. Here's a few threads I started on it awhile ago:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/411561-i-did-it-heres-our-year-long-artsy-friday-schedule/?do=findComment&comment=4160009

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/361007-im-thinking-about-doing-a-year-long-study-on-opera/?do=findComment&comment=3753742

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/379963-ive-decided-to-do-a-year-long-study-on-the-orchestra-the-ballet-and-the-opera/?do=findComment&comment=3902894

Good luck! And please share what you find. :) I'm always in need of new inspiration.

What ages?

the Great Courses have a very nice course How to listen to and understand opera by Robert Greenberg - he is one of our favorite lecturers. But that woudl only work for older kids, elementary age would be bored.

Some of my favorite operas for kids are:

Haensel and Gretel (Humperdinck) - best opera for very young ones

Magic Flute (Mozart)

Rusalka (Dvorak)

Freischuetz (Weber).

They have a clear story with fairy tale elements, rather catchy tunes, and not too much that kids would not understand.

Of others, I would cover mainly selections, because most operas are too long in their entirety to hold a child's attention span.

I'd select some "best of" listening examples for each of the categories arias (all voices), duets/trios/quartets, chorus, but not necessarily from the same opera.

If at all possible, I'd give them a chance to have a live opera experience. It at least watch a video of a staged production.

ETA: My first and most powerful opera experience was Magic Flute when I was 5. I saw Rigoletto when I was 8 - not a "child themed" opera, but a great experience nonetheless. And "Carmen" as a young teen was great, too. And Tosca.

Opera is rather abstract - so it can work perfectly to pick a thrilling opera even if you would not otherwise choose the subject matter for your child. Somebody being killed in an opera is nowhere near as graphic as if it were depicted in a  movie.

Salzburg Marionette Theater's Magic Flute is fantastic, especially for younger kids... well any age really. I loved it! OP, if you search it on youtube, you can see lots of clips. They tour in the states. Assuming you're in the states. :)

I used to sing opera, so some of it is just in the air around here! Regentrude's post had great suggestions. What age kids? Many opera companies have young artist programs that perform shorter operas for children if your kids are very young. Colleges with music programs often perform operas that don't break the bank to attend. Just read the story (libretto) to them ahead of time, then just enjoy! People think that enjoying opera has to be a lot of work, but it is so easy to fall in love with the pageantry and gorgeous music - and that is enough. One does not have to understand every word to get the emotional experience. I'd rather see people attend one opera a year rather than study it as a unit.

I think the main thing is go see something. I tried to explain what opera even was to my kids and they were having none of it. But I took them to the mini-version of La Boheme at the Kennedy Center and they were thrilled by it. There's something about being there and seeing it staged.

My dd spent a year reading opera stories from At the Opera  and then looking for them on youtube to watch.  Low key, easy to implement, fun stuff!  Also Clyde Bulla has a couple opera books that would be accessible for your youngers.  You could read them to them if you wanted, then watch together. 

STORIES OF FAVORITE OPERAS

More Stories of Favorite Operas

Then try Gilbert and Sullivan.  :)

Stories of Gilbert and Sullivan operas

• 2 weeks later...

The Greenberg great courses is great, but I don't think a kid could really sit through it.

I'll make two specific recommendations:

(1) This Dresden Staatsopera production of Hansel and Gretel: http://www.amazon.com/Humperdinck-E-Hansel-Semperoper-Dresden/dp/B0048LU318

And Kenneth Brannagh's production of The Magic Flute, which is in a wonderful English translation by Stephen Fry (!! Is there anything that man can't do?). https://itun.es/us/X0a1M

Older kids might find this interesting, as it exposes you to the drama of opera but focuses more on the process of actually producing one. Becoming Traviata by Philippe Beziat

https://itun.es/us/qyTER