Menu

Dr. Hive - help with coughing and difficulty clearing mucus - ugh!

dsmith

Ds, Nana and I are all getting over the flu (A) and are having a terrible time with coughing and clearing the mucus out of our chests. We've been using regular Robitussin (guaifanesen only) but ds hates the taste. I have Chestal, which he also can't stand. We've also been taking Sambucol but I am the only one doing these things regularly, and I am better than DS or Nana. What else can I try, especially with ds? He is very sensitive to strong flavors, can't stand water, but will drink watered down juice. He's been taking a lot of steamy showers and drinking broth, but I don't know what else to do with him. We just bought Nana a new nebulizer as we didn't know hers was broken, so hopefully that will help her. I'm considering asking the pediatrician for some kind of nebulizer treatment for ds but I'm hoping I can find something that may help him through the night.

I've been doing the water, but ds is driving me crazy not drinking it. I've been mixing juice and water, that's the best I can do. Maybe I should ask dh to pick up Mucinex in pill form. That might be more effective and spare ds the taste of Robitussin, lol. Bronchitis is what I'm worried about, or pneumonia. This flu started out slow, but it is wreaking havoc on our respiratory system! I also have to be careful what I give ds with the meds he is on, so any cough medicine can only have guaifenesin and no other medications, and water is the key when taking that. It's very frustrating! 

Get mucinex in pill form.  Get the regular strength because the max strength has Huge pills.  Water/fluid is the key to making mucinex work so make sure to stay very hydrated.  Will he eat soup or popcicles? Fluid is fluid when it comes to mucinex.  It doesn't matter what form it is in. 

Thanks for the heads up on the pill size. He definitely won't swallow a huge pill. He is eating soup, italian ice and popsicles, and vanilla Frostys when he can talk dh into getting him one. We're going to try some flavored water tomorrow. Thanks!

Get mucinex in pill form.  Get the regular strength because the max strength has Huge pills.  Water/fluid is the key to making mucinex work so make sure to stay very hydrated.  Will he eat soup or popcicles? Fluid is fluid when it comes to mucinex.  It doesn't matter what form it is in.