Menu

Raspberry Pi

I've got a Tinker Fairy for a daughter.  Dd 8 loves making, creating, etc.  She's much like my brother.  So, when my brother came to visit last Thanksgiving, obsessing about the Raspberry Pi and telling me in detail (like he always does) about all the uses he was going to put it to and suggesting all sorts of ways we could use it in our schooling, I was sort of interested for dd8's sake.

There's only one problem:  I don't know much about this stuff.

I come from a computer-savvy family.  I've messed around with the C:prompt on a Windows machine before, but that's about it.  My family members don't live close enough for me to just send her over there for an afternoon each week, and I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable if I could.  (Same kid who wondered aloud this afternoon, "I wonder what sulfuric acid tastes like?"  I wouldn't want one of my blessed brothers helping her find out.  :)  But anyway . . .)  These are also the brothers who communicate really well, but only face-to-face.  (Skype doesn't count.)

So, should I invest in a Raspberry Pi?  If I do, how do I assemble a kit that will allow her to actually make stuff?  We've got an extra monitor and it wouldn't be a problem to get a keyboard and mouse.  But what about the electronics?  How . . . ?

Books?  Websites?  Kits?

Please help!

Mama Anna

You need a Raspberry Pi and a starter kit.

Here are 2 good sites. 

1.  http://www.adafruit.com/category/105

2.  http://www.makershed.com/collections/raspberry-pi

You can get a beginners book from the makershed site.

Hth!

ETA:  I forgot to add that I believe there's a tutorial on the first website I mentioned.

Thanks, desertflower!

Our 12-year-old has a Raspberry Pi and loves the programming, tinkering, etc. He loves computers but I honestly have no clue what he is doing. He explains things he has created/built and I think it's wonderful but it is a foreign language to me. Thankfully, I also have a computer-savvy brother who can speak his language. We don't live nearby but when we do visit, the two of them talk for hours and share ideas. I think it's something your child (or an adult!) will grow into, learning as you go. It helps to have a friend or family member/mentor to bounce ideas of off if you're like me. If you know something about computer languages, you'd have a big advantage. :) It was the best Christmas gift two years ago for him. :)