Menu

5th Grade Grammar/Writing

NatashainDFW

I am researching for 5th grade as well. My top grammar contenders are Hake and R&S. for writing we use Classical Academic Press' Writing he Rhetoric series. For a 5th grader behind in writing and grammar, I would suggest Treasured Conversations. We are using it this year and it is wonderful. When you complete TC you can move onto any writing and grammar.

I have been very impressed with my daughter's results from KISS Grammar, which I find to be very hands-on oriented: one practices the meaning of subject, verbs, direct objects, subordinate clauses, prepositional phrases, etc. by finding them in real sentences, not by memorizing definitions. We have been using it for several years now and my daughter can analyze very complex sentences, surpassing anything I was ever able to do even in high school. 

So for a number of reasons DS10 is extremely far behind in grammar and usage. I need some ideas for him. FLL and WWE just didn't go over well with him although it seems to be what will work well for DD6. Any and all ideas will be investigated.

We switched to BJU Writing and Grammar grade 5 and my dd is all caught up in grammar and right on track with comp.  We bought the book and have not needed the TM, but if your grammar knowledge is really forgotten you can get a cheap TM through CLP (Christian liberty press) for under 5.00 that has the answers and a few teaching suggestions.

It is very simple to use, all instructions are there, and it makes logical sense.

We like Rod and Staff.  My daughter was in 5th grade when we started homeschooling, and her grammar and writing instruction in public school had been sorely lacking.  We did a year of LLATL, which was nice to "ease" her into homeschooling, but I realized I wanted to ramp up the grammar and writing this year.  We started with Rod and Staff English 5 this past fall, and while challenging, she is enjoying it.  She is planning to start on English 6 as soon as we finish 5 and work through the summer, as she'd like to finish English 7 and the end of 7th grade.  Some people use a separate writing curriculum, but I am finding that the writing instruction in Rod and Staff is working really well for us.  The key is that I take what she's covered in Rod and Staff and make sure she applies it to her writing that she does for history, science, and lit study.

What are you goals for him with grammar? Do you want him to know the parts of speech, or are you more concerned with mechanics/properly written and punctuated writing? Both?

Do you need composition type instruction? Can he write a solid paragraph?

FWIW, if he's behind in both, I'd prioritize composition and the mechanical aspects of grammar. You could do more serious grammar study when he's older and/or caught up otherwise.