Menu

Will This Be Enough For My 5th Grader??

Homeschooling6

Thanks for anyone who answers. I know I'm not the first one asking.

The only reason why I'm some what concerned is my ds might go to Public School for 6th grade and up. Every time I see the State Test it just doesn't seem like we are where we ought to be.

For the record we do, do school. In fact my kids have continued to do math, reading and some grammar through the Summer. Not a full load. I called it "Summer" school:001_huh:

• Beginning Outlining & Outlining
  • Rod & Staff English 5
  • Math-U-See Delta & Epsilon
  • Spectrum Geography 5
  • Spectrum Test Prep 5
  • Vocabulary from Classical Roots
  • All About Spelling starting with level 1. Hope to complete at least the first two levels.

History we are using a combination of MFW/SOTW/Kingfisher & Science is Sonlight 5.

My ds knows history (we have done 2yrs of Ancients & 2yrs of American)but we haven't memorized dates so I'm going to add that in to.

Once he's done with begging outline series I will have him outline books

I plan to purchase "What Your Fifth Grader Needs to Know" I'm feeling a little stressed about this or maybe overwhelmed. If I was able to continue homeschooling I would feel confident in what we are using. My son struggles with spelling. He currently spells at a 2nd grade level and his reading is at a fourth grade level. Comprehension is high 8th grade but it's the reading level that I'm worried about. I hope for him to continue improving this year.

I will still be homeschooling the rest of my kiddos up to 5th grade. My dh wants the kids in public school before high school:confused:

What do you all think? Will he be ready for public school going into the 6th grade.

Thank you in advance for any advice you may have. Please let me know if we are missing anything.

Almost forgot. Here in Texas if they don't pass the TAKS test at the end of the year, they don't pass that grade.

My oldest in only in third so I can't help with the curriculum choices that you have made.

I would suggest that you go to http://www.tea.state.tx.us/teks/index.html and look and see what TEKS are covered in 5th grade. If I knew for sure that my kids would go to a public school the next year then I would choice curriculum that matches the skills taught in school the most.

Jan

I agree that one might have different goals for 6th grade, depending on if the child will be hsing or going to ps.

My ds will be a very young 5th grader. (He turned 10 last week.) IF he were going to ps next year, and who knows, but we're not currently planning on it, here's what *I* would do:

Math

English (but I'd do it "light")

History (memorizing dates, or at least having a general idea, is a good plan, imo)

Science

Spelling

add in formal writing curriculum

Because he's spelling at a lower level, I'd consider what I could add in each day as a "second" spelling time that will reinforce his curriculum, yet be FUN and not seem like punishment or more dreary spelling work (assuming it's not his fave subject).

I'd skip:

Beginning Outlining & Outlining (is it just outlining? He'll learn that in school)

Spectrum Geography (I'd tie geography in with history, I think this would just be additional busywork)

Vocabulary from Classical Roots (you've said his comprehension is good, and I don't think this will benefit him at this point for ps)

I'd also not include Spectrum Test Prep. It doesn't teach anything; it's just a tool to practice test taking. And it probably won't even be the same test format that your state uses, kwim? Ask around; you might find old Texas tests online (I know I can do that for VA). I definitely agree with Jan--find out what the public schools are teaching in 5th grade. State history? American? Focus on that, and skip world history.

I love the What Your Nth Grader Needs to Know. We'll actually be using it next week to brush up before continuing SOTW as we begin our school year. It might be a good review for your ds--but if TX teaches different topics, it might be a waste of time.

Don't stress! You already know your ds's strengths and weaknesses, and you're preparing well in advance. You are the perfect teacher for him this year, and it sounds like you will BOTH do well. :)

Spectrum does make a test prep for Texas. I assumed that she would likely use that one. There are also previous TAKS tests on tea's website. I know that the test prep books don't teach much in content, but you as the teacher can teach some basic test taking skills if you use them. Given the high stakes testing in Texas I don't think it is a bad thing to go over some basic test taking skills.

Jan

find out how much writing is required each day and make sure he has the endurance for it. In our local public schools in early elementary they are writing a lot (maybe not the greatest way to teach but that's what they do).

Make sure he knows how to write paragraphs even if he has to use spell check at this point to get the spelling right.

find out how much writing is required each day and make sure he has the endurance for it. In our local public schools in early elementary they are writing a lot (maybe not the greatest way to teach but that's what they do).

Make sure he knows how to write paragraphs even if he has to use spell check at this point to get the spelling right.

I agree with this. The elementary schools in our district focus on reading and writing (but not much on spelling) and on prepping the students for the state reading/math/writing tests. They spend a lot of time writing in a certain format so the kids will get maximum scores on the state test. There is less focus on science, and minimal exposure to history -- the kids learn about community helpers, our region, bits and pieces of American history.

If you are planning to put your ds into public school for 6th grade, I would suggest finding out what local 5th and 6th graders are studying so you can fill any gaps this year and know in advance what will be required of him next year.

Test prep is an excellent idea, using samples of the tests your ds will be taking. Then he can get used to how the questions are presented, and the format in which the answers are to be given.

Thank you ladies for your help and encouragement. I actually did find the Spectrum Test for Texas after I posted and that is the one I would use.

Hopefully I'll get another year to teach my son. If my dh wants are dc in public school before High School, I am praying that I can teach for 6th grade and then maybe for Jr. High they can go to ps.

I really want ds to finish two years of R&S English and at least get to finish up with Epsilon and Zeta, improve his reading and writing skills before entering the public school system. I'll have to show dh what I would like ds to finish before ps.

I am printing out the Texas requirements from both links provided and will look all this over. The math for the test he hasn't done yet. We have been using MUS with some R&S. I see him using this more in the next year or so.

Our school district is one of the top 10 in Texas and is even going to be noticed in Washington DC so I want to make sure he is prepared.

When we lived in CA we lived in the district with one of the worst schools in our county, so dh didn't mind me homeschooling.

Spectrum does make a test prep for Texas. I assumed that she would likely use that one. There are also previous TAKS tests on tea's website. I know that the test prep books don't teach much in content, but you as the teacher can teach some basic test taking skills if you use them. Given the high stakes testing in Texas I don't think it is a bad thing to go over some basic test taking skills.

Jan

These test; are they what the student is taking at the end of 5th grade? So I need to make sure he is learning what is in these test through 5th grade, correct?

Also as I was searching for Singapore Science at christianbook I found A Reason for Science do you think this would be a better choice than using SL 5 since it probably follows a bit more of what the ps is doing?

Thank you ladies,

When I was teaching (in Texas, but a younger grade) the students were only required to pass reading and math before moving to the next grade level. My husband isn't a teacher, but does work for a school district and he doesn't think that has changed. The students don't take all of the same tests every year. Here is information on TEA's website about the tests and when they are given. -

The TAKS measures the statewide curriculum in

reading at Grades 3-9

in writing at Grades 4 and 7;

in English Language Arts at Grades 10 and 11;

in mathematics at Grades 3-11;

in science at Grades 5,10, and 11;

and social studies at Grades 8, 10, and 11. Satisfactory performance on the TAKS at Grade 11 is prerequisite to a high school diploma.

According to this the only parts of the TAKs test that the kids take in 6th grade is reading and math. So since your child will be entering in 6th grade he would have missed the science portion until 10th grade. I would probably make sure that your student has some exposure to what was taught in science for 5th, but I wouldn't make it a big deal.

For me personally I would focus on reading, writing, and math this year. I would make sure that my student could write a paragraph answering questions in history and science. That he is reading from a variety of fiction and non fiction books. I know that MUS covers things in a different sequence. I would make sure that MUS covers all of the topics listed in the TEKS.

Another suggestion would be to go to your district's website. Often times teacher's post spelling list and homework assigments on their website. I know the district that I am in has listed the topics covered in each subject by 6 weeks in a little more friendly terms than the TEKS.

Jan

These test; are they what the student is taking at the end of 5th grade? So I need to make sure he is learning what is in these test through 5th grade, correct?

Also as I was searching for Singapore Science at christianbook I found A Reason for Science do you think this would be a better choice than using SL 5 since it probably follows a bit more of what the ps is doing?

Thank you ladies,

Personally I like sonlight 5 science better than singapore science. Make sure you get to do experiments. You can search online for free ideas or get a book from the library no reason to buy anything else. I think if everything lines up with your state requirements I think it looks fine. I would add in writing like IEW or something similar.

Regarding the TAks test, your son would have to take the 5th grade test in order to enter the 6th grade. So prepare for the science portion. Also, my friend had entered her son in public school and she said that they gave him an old TAKS test for him to take. It was the same one she had printed out for her son to practice on. I would definitely have your son take several of the old TAKS test for practice.

Hope that helps,

Madonna

Thanks for the info on the testing. I talked to my dh today and told him I would really like to school Josh for 5th & 6th grade so he can finish Delta, Epsilon & Zeta, complete Rod & Staff English 5 and 6, practice more with reading and writing.

He said it what be fine, so I am going to buy some of the Spectrum workbooks, print out the TAKS test. We are studying SOTW Vol. 1 this year and next year use SOTW Vol.2 but I am going to him listen to Vol. 3 & 4 through out the next two year on his own. It looks like the ps teaches a lot of American History.

I might go with a more traditional science course, still not sure. I really want to do Sonlight 5 so we'll see about that.

You all have been so helpful and I thank you for your kindness with taking the time to help me out:)