Menu

Sources for videos to go along with history and science?

ILiveInFlipFlops

I like to use short videos to supplement our history and science lessons. We used to subscribe to Discovery Streaming for this, but the video quality made it hard to engage with. I've heard good things about BrainPop, but I'm reluctant to spend the money without some kind of trial. Do they have a broad enough selection of videos to complement overall history and science? If you like to use videos as supplements, where do you find them? Are there other services like DE and BrainPop that I don't know about? Online sites that might offer a good database of short videos?

Thanks!

Other sites to look at:

http://www.watchknowlearn.org/ 

http://sqooltools.com/edvideos/index.html

http://www.teachertube.com/

and of course youtube (as with anything online make sure you preview things if you are worried about exposure to things that may shock you/your kids)

We do love Brainpop and Brainpopjr... they always have a few videos free, you can check them out.  You can also see every video they have listed, you just have to be logged in to watch them (other than the current free videos).

:lol: :lol: :lol: I was just coming to post a link to these guys, and you beat me to it! These are so great, and my oldest DD (who is the harder kid to please) loved them. We watched the taxonomy video today, and then she watched some history ones on her own. They're a little above youngest DD's level, but I think I may actually pay for BrainPop for her. She loves the free version, and they both love doing the quizzes after the videos and seeing what other extras are available.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I bookmarked all of them!

There's also Learner.org

With our iPad, we use the BrainPop app to watch 5 videos per day for $1.99 per month. (You don't get to choose the 5 videos though - they are pre-selected and typically all somewhat relate to each other.)  Cheaper than the regular unlimited subscription and DS says 5 videos a day is enough anyway.  : )  Even at 13, he still learns a lot of things from them, in an efficient/quick manner, that I wouldn't normally think of covering, especially in "social studies" areas. It's just a month-to-month deal, no contract. So that's another way to try out BrainPop without a big commitment.

I just search Youtube. It's hit or miss, yeah, but you stumble on good stuff. And you get to know where to look. Like if I'm wanting something for a specific science topic I might search Nova + the topic or Nova Science Now + the topic or ASAP science + the topic. History has been harder to find things, but again, I try to look for clips from programs. Sometimes just doing a channel like PBS + topic or BBC + topic will turn up a decent clip from something.

For general just watching stuff I adore The Kid Should See This and they recently updated the site so that it's much easier to search.

• 3 weeks later...