Menu

ISO online game for learning the Periodic Table

Seasider

My daughter and her homeschooling buddy learned the periodic table with this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUDDiWtFtEM

Also, not online, but the teacher's guide to The Elements by Ellen McHenry have several fun games...

That's what we're using right now, along with McHenry's.  There is a SLOW version of the Asap song, as well.  

We downloaded a bunch of free apps, as well, and one just called "Elements" (icon orange has an orange background with an atom) has it where the blank periodic table is shown, and they highlight one square which has just the number filled in, and you have to chose which element from 4 options.  I think it is by mmpApps.com?  I think the Elements Test+ by Douglas Roeper also has an option to learn via atomic number (but not the free version - it's $0.99).  HTH

ETA: just realized you asked for online - these were for iPad. 

Learning the periodic table is only really useful as a party trick. Are you sure you wouldn't prefer to devote the time and energy to something else?

I agree. Through college and my career, in chemistry, I learned the most common from constant use and there were periodic tables in all the labs. Chemistry wise, there are more important things to remember.

Learning the periodic table is only really useful as a party trick. Are you sure you wouldn't prefer to devote the time and energy to something else?

Maybe.  But if your DS8 decides he has no interest in the Astronomy you have planned, and would rather go back to studying Chemistry, you kind of go with it.  It's his favorite subject and he is LOVING studying the Elements.  It keeps him interested in science, so it makes it useful to me. :)

Okay now, when my friends tell me that their eager learner wants to learn something, I don't discourage them from helping their kids learn it.... I assure y'all that all the appropriate 4th grade level chemistry principles will be covered.  :D

That said, she's learning it with a group and they are doing it by atomic number.I agree that by group/column makes more sense, but I didn't get to choose the method.

Heigh Ho, thanks for the sporcle suggestion, that will help. Ikslo, thanks for the app recommendations. Big sis has an ipad she occasionally shares, I will see if I can investigate your suggestions, thanks.

Momling, that's a winner! But we will probably have an interesting discussion when we get to silicone.  :smilielol5:

Maybe.  But if your DS8 decides he has no interest in the Astronomy you have planned, and would rather go back to studying Chemistry, you kind of go with it.  It's his favorite subject and he is LOVING studying the Elements.  If it keeps him interested in science, so it makes it useful to me. :)

Have you seen this? At 8 your guy might not be quite ready for it, but we love our guides to chemistry and physics. Great for introducing/simplifying concepts.

http://www.amazon.com/Cartoon-Guide-Chemistry-Larry-Gonick/dp/0060936770

Have you seen this? At 8 your guy might not be quite ready for it, but we love our guides to chemistry and physics. Great for introducing/simplifying concepts.

http://www.amazon.com/Cartoon-Guide-Chemistry-Larry-Gonick/dp/0060936770

No, I had not come across this gem - thanks for the heads up!  He surprises me with how much he grasps when it comes to science.  It's definitely going on my wish list.