Menu

Feeling apprehensive

Teresa in MO

I just dropped off my son at the airport.  He is flying to Lima, Peru.  He will be backpacking through South America for the next two months. He is with a friend and his wife.  I will not be able to contact him.  He will be able to call me when he has Wi-Fi, every couple of weeks.  I am excited for him, but also a little apprehensive!

HUGS!  I am sure he will have a fabulous time!  I went to Peru ages and ages ago.  It was a wonderful experience.  I think in these days of instant communication we are so used to knowing everything all the time.  But just a few years ago travel did mean actual lack of communication.  Just think of the wonderful stories he will have to relate when he gets back!

Hi Teresa. I'm  not that mom yet but I was that kid. First left the country at 16 for two months on a mission trip, before the Internet. :) Now I know how brave and strong my mom was for letting me go. Hugs to you. It was a great time in my life--truly instructive for me as an adult, even now with many more traveling experiences under my belt.

:grouphug:

Binip - I was that kid too!  My trip to Peru was a mission trip - but just a few weeks. I think I was 13.  However, I had some mission trips to India when I was an older teenager that had me out of contact with parents for weeks!  And one time, when I was a young adult, when I was in India and my parents had no idea where I was for weeks and weeks. And no way to reach me.  And no idea how to find me if they needed to.  I don't know how my parents didn't have massive strokes while I was away.   But it all worked out - and I have great stories!