Menu

Need help with grammar for 4th grade boy.

scgirl816

We used BJU writing & grammar last year, and it was a bit too teacher intensive for my time limits. So we tried Easy Grammar which was highly recommended to us for more independent grammar study. Great concept, but the student book does not lend itself at all to independent study. I probably would have done fine with it at his age, but he is struggling with understanding the concept of basic grammar. Because of that, I feel like BJU is a good fit for him, but I dread going back because of how long the lessons took us...also every other chapter is writing, and I've stepped back a bit from writing this year. Is there anything that would work for a bit more independent learning (I do still go through it with him at the start of each lesson and then leave him to do the practice.) but not so teacher intensive? Something that lays out grammar in an easy-to-understand way?  Thank you!

What about Climbing to Good English or Rod and Staff English?  I feel that both of those break things down into very small chunks.  Climbing to good English would be the least writing intensive.  

Also Essentials in Writing, but it has a large "writing" portion that second half of the year that might not be what you are looking for.  It is a video corse, if that matters.

OOOoo there is always Editor in Chief by The Critical Thinking Company which would be a very fun way to work on grammar and punctation.  

I love grammar programs LOL