Menu

Whole30 large family dinner favorites

Heather in OK

If you've done Whole30 and you have a family of 4-6….

Can you please share some dinners you made.  

My husband and I are going to do this.  We eat fairly healthy already but obviously I'm going to revamp some of our regular dinners (ie. chicken and noodle soup minus the noodles, butternut squash soup without cream) and find some new.    

Anyone have good vegetarian favorites?  My 14yo is veg and it's pretty easy to adapt most meals for her or have alternatives.  But I like to cook at least two to three meals a week that are vegetarian.  And honestly, we're not big meat-eaters anyway.  When I do have meat in a meal it's ground turkey or chicken.  

As far as I understand it, the Whole 30 is about as far from vegetarian as you can get. Most people triple their meat consumption when using the system in order to get the necessary dietary fats/oils and slow burning calories.

Yes, I think you would have to add in legumes to accommodate your vegetarian, and they are not whole 30 approved.

We've been eating whole30-ish for the past 2 months (not counting Thanksgiving week, &  this week), and I have only found a few recipes that my whole family will enjoy.

1. Taco salad is really easy to make compliant, and I let the kids add cheese, dressing, & tortillas.

2. Date & Shallot Chicken

Ingredients:

4 large chicken breasts

2 large shallots, peeled and thinly sliced

5-7 medjool dates, pitted and diced

3 large sprigs of fresh rosemary

2-3 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Pull out a large glass baking dish and place chicken in it.

Top chicken off with your sliced shallots and dates.

Now pull the rosemary off one of the sprigs and toss over the chicken, then place the remaining 2 rosemary sprigs around the chicken.

Finish the chicken off by pouring over olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and apple cider vinegar and topping it off with salt and pepper.

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. No pink please.

3. Honey Dijon Pork Chops and Apples in the Slow Cooker

Serves: 4-6 servings

Ingredients

1½ lbs. pork chops, boneless or bone-in

5 small apples, peeled and sliced

1 onion, sliced

3 Tbs. honey

1 tsp. Dijon mustard

½ tsp. Kosher salt

generous grind black pepper

Instructions

Place pork chops on bottom of crock.

Stir honey, Dijon, salt and pepper together.

Pour over apples and onions and toss to coat.

Place apples and onions on top of pork chops in slow cooker.

Cook 5-6 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low.

Roasted sweet potatoes and salad with olive oil & sunflower seeds have become my regular side dishes. I definitely need to add more variety. All of the cooking has been a real challenge for me, and then it is even more frustrating when no one enjoys the food. Hopefully someone more experienced will have more recipes to share!

A favorite here was to simply roast up a pile of assorted sliced bell peppers, onions, zuke and mushrooms (I typically also add sliced chicken breast) toss with coconut oil and salt and pepper.  Top with a squeeze of lime and a scoop of guac. It makes a good tortilla free fajitas.  I think DD has made cauli rice to go with it.

Most of our go to recipes contain meat.

A favorite here was to simply roast up a pile of assorted sliced bell peppers, onions, zuke and mushrooms (I typically also add sliced chicken breast) toss with coconut oil and salt and pepper.  Top with a squeeze of lime and a scoop of guac. It makes a good tortilla free fajitas.  I think DD has made cauli rice to go with it.

Most of our go to recipes contain meat.

How do you eat it without tortillas?