Menu

Apple- just out of warranty

anneinco

Has anyone had any luck with getting Apple to repair something free that is out of warranty?

I bought my daughter an iPod nano for Christmas last year. According to Apple it is now 8 days out of warranty. What really is frustrating me is that we have to buy in advance for Christmas, either for a decent price, or to ensure we have the item they ask for, yet the item does not get used until the 25th.

Today her iPods headphone jack stopped working. As I told the person I talked to at apple is that I would be more understanding if this was something she used daily, where the headphones were in and out a lot, but this was used just on occasion (mostly because she would forget to charge it). I am being quoted $75 for repair. Taking into consideration gas and time, my daughter just said it would probably be easier to just get a new one.

All I hear is how good Apple is and honestly this is the third problem I have had with them out of three devices (the third being the iphone 6 I just bought and so far no issues there). Not a good record. They are great... When they work...

Any advice?

Absolutely I have had them repair things out of warranty, twice. Additionally they've replaced my charger out of warranty when it was our fault it broke. Other small repairs they have charged me for. I bought Apple care, which is a warranty extension, but it had expired already when these things happened. I'm not sure it made a difference in their mindset that I had paid extra at one point even though it no longer applied.

I did go in person with an appointment to an Apple store and I was extremely polite. I'm not sure if you'd have as much luck trying to convince someone over the phone. It's probably a madhouse right before Christmas, though.

My concern is the longer I wait, the less chance I have. At the same time, the only Apple stores are 45 minute drive or 3 hour and I really don't want to deal with that right now, especially in a mall. After the holiday, I don't mind walking in/making an appointment and talking to someone. On a plus side, I ordered the ipod 11/28, but he says it's only 8 days out of warranty and they should have record of me calling in today.

As for third party repair, I called the same chain that repaired my iPhone 4S and they quoted the same price as Apple thought it would be. $75. I will call a couple other places too.

I am second guessing getting apple care/extended warranty on my phone now. I had not planned on it, but now I wonder if I am cursed with Apple products.