Menu

Picking the Hive Mind

scrapbookbuzz

Hoping I won't strain your brains too badly here. B-)

But my 10yo son has been sick since Sunday night :(  and is now at the point where he has the dry heaves, which in turn causes more tension and more

headaches. He has been able to eat a little yesterday and keep it down and we are keeping him well hydrated, alternating between water, clear Gatorade, and Reed's Ginger Ale.

I'm just trying to figure out how to stop the dry heaves so he can rest for more than a few minutes at a time.

Any suggestions?

Yes, at this stage medicine is warranted to stop the heaving  reflex.  Although also try a warm bath, and let him soak (with a bucket nearby just in case).  That is what the front desk night clerk - also in training to be a paramedic - had us do when we were on vacation in West Yellowstone, MT, and over an hours drive away (via unlit roads with bison wandering around) from the nearest clinic (either in the park or the nearest town with doctors).  One of the kids had been down to dry heave for hours and could not stop - clerk said to try calming her body down overall with a warm, relaxing bath. it worked!