Menu

update: DD WAS ACCEPTED!!! My dd was asked for a writing sample to submit to her 1st choice....

Joanne

They sent her an email that they need more information to consider her application because her scores (GPA or test - in her case test) are below their normal acceptance.

She wrote a fantastic email in response and attached writing samples her English teacher suggested.

It was a mixed deal. We are glad that they didn't immediately reject her, but I am personally worried with a mother's heart that she will be disappointed.

She'll be an asset wherever she lands.

She was accepted; not financials yet.

Test optional colleges sometimes ask for writing samples as they're not basing admissions on test scores.  It's a very good sign that they've asked your daughter for this as they want to be able to justify admitting a student with lower scores.  Admissions people are really busy and wouldn't ask for additional info from a student they were planning to reject.  Hopefully she'll have good news soon!

• 2 weeks later...

My Goddaughter applied to a test-optional school, but supplied her test scores, which were well below their average range.  The school called her back and asked her to submit other pieces, including a graded writing sample, and to withdraw her test scores.  She just finished her first semester there.  In her case the vibe she got was that they liked her, and wanted her, but didn't want her test scores dragging their average down.