Menu

Physics For MIddle School

I'd ask this question on the Logic board for better results.  Also you can do a board specific search, I'd look at the H.S. board for suggestions.  Do you want secular/religious, hands on with lots of projects, workbook style..... 

As regenetude suggested you can do Hewitt Conceptual Physics, there's TOPS for activities, computer based with projects curriculum is Exploration Education (you'd want the advanced), and Workbook style Power Basics from Walch Education.

If she is has taken prealgebra, you can do Conceptual Physics by Hewitt.

Another good choice is How Things Work by Louis Bloomfield.

Or wait a year and do an actual algebra based course.

Those would be my suggestions as well.  There is a TC course that pairs with Conceptual Physics called Great Ideas of Classical Physics, and Bloomfield offers a How Things Work course on Coursera that goes with his course.  In case you want to add lectures to the reading.

Thanks all - I've used up my likes for today over on the chat board *eye roll*.  Do you know of anywhere I can see a sample of the book pages for Conceptual Physics; they weren't available on Amazon.  Did you add any lab-type work to the book readings?  If so, any suggestions?

Am I just imagining things, or is that TOPS expensive?  But it looks good.  Have you tried TOPS and if so, was it worth the $$?

I'd ask this question on the Logic board for better results.  Also you can do a board specific search, I'd look at the H.S. board for suggestions.  Do you want secular/religious, hands on with lots of projects, workbook style..... 

As regenetude suggested you can do Hewitt Conceptual Physics, there's TOPS for activities, computer based with projects curriculum is Exploration Education (you'd want the advanced), and Workbook style Power Basics from Walch Education.

I have a couple of the TOPS units and we've sort of picked and chosen bits. I think they're generally pretty good. The activities are well explained. I like that the layout has the experiments written to the student. I don't think they're that expensive. Aren't they all less than $20?

regentrude, on 14 Dec 2014 - 1:54 PM, said:snapback.png

If she is has taken prealgebra, you can do Conceptual Physics by Hewitt.

Another good choice is How Things Work by Louis Bloomfield.

Or wait a year and do an actual algebra based course.

Those would be my suggestions as well.  There is a TC course that pairs with Conceptual Physics called Great Ideas of Classical Physics, and Bloomfield offers a How Things Work course on Coursera that goes with his course.  In case you want to add lectures to the reading.

I like How Things Work by Louis Bloomfield too. (And thank you for the coursera reference.) Also: 'Thinking Physics' by Epstein and 'The flying circus of physics' by Walker (these two are problem/solution books, not textbooks), 'Cartoon guide to physics' by Larry Gonick (and many of his other guides too).

I have a couple of the TOPS units and we've sort of picked and chosen bits. I think they're generally pretty good. The activities are well explained. I like that the layout has the experiments written to the student. I don't think they're that expensive. Aren't they all less than $20?

I bought the PDF of a couple of them for $12-$16.  The author/staff are really helpful.  I wish I had gone with Exploration Education though (talk about $$).  We've barely done any Science so far because I can't seem to make the different TOPS activities line up with Hewitt's CP.  Plus DS really has little interest so so what I wanted/needed to be an independent subject is not.

Edited by reefgazer