Menu

What do I want to buy for 8th/9th gr Electronics?

I want to foster my 8th grade son's fledgling interest in Electronics. What do I want to buy?

Rasberri Pi?

Arudino?

Make Electronics kit?

Something else? Is he too old for Lego Mindstorms?

He went through a session with Quick Study Labs using Snap Circuits in 7th grade. And he is currently taking a Python programming course.

I have already bought Understanding Modern Electronics (Great Courses).

I'll go with the make electronics kit first. Then add on arduino or raspberry pi later to match his python course. Are you near any RadioShack? If you are, drop by and look then check for better prices online.

Instead of Lego Mindstorm, at his age go for Vex Robotics. It's more flexible.

Look for a local makerspace. I found one local to me which is free for teens.

I love the oscilloscope I get to use in high school but that is optional.

Just want to mention www.conrad.de

A webshop for all kind of electronics ( on a higher level)

Www.opitec.de has more the standard schoolsets.

( I use from both sites the .be edition to avoid high shipping, I have no Idea what the shippings will be between .de and .dk)

We have required Technical education, which covers also a little bit of electronics, but I could find almost everything I need at Conrad or Opitec

Just want to mention www.conrad.de

A webshop for all kind of electronics ( on a higher level)

Www.opitec.de has more the standard schoolsets.

( I use from both sites the .be edition to avoid high shipping, I have no Idea what the shippings will be between .de and .dk)

We have required Technical education, which covers also a little bit of electronics, but I could find almost everything I need at Conrad or Opitec

THANK YOU!!!

I looked these up and found a conrad.dk

http://www.conradelektronik.dk

Yippee!!

Make Electronics by Charles Platt will keep you busy for about a year. We just finished it and we're moving on to volume 2. Also we're starting on Arduino. And we bought an oscilloscope. In fact, I'd recommend you buy an o-scope now. I wish I'd had it when we were doing the Make experiments. I'm also thinking about ham radio.

Any recommendations for the oscilloscope?

I want to foster my 8th grade son's fledgling interest in Electronics. What do I want to buy?

Rasberri Pi?

Arudino?

Make Electronics kit?

I would do these activities in reverse order:  Make: Electronics, then Arduino, then RasPi.  We are on this path, and each is an increasing level of complexity and expense.  

M:E will acquaint you with circuit diagrams, electronic components, logic gates, IC's.  

Arduino has many of the above components which you can now use with other sensors and motors to do more complicated stuff, using simple programs.

RasPi is really just a computer at it's most basic, so to me that's the most complicated thing.  You install your own open source OS onto it and maybe some additional programs, but again I haven't gotten that far yet.