Menu

Looking for some perspective on curriculum...

Hi everyone!

With dd11's recent dyslexia diagnosis, I'm looking to refine my curriculum choices come January. We are spending this month focusing on Barton, math, and listening to a ton of audio books.

Some background/updates- dd has a language-based dyslexia diagnosis as well as ADHD inattentive. She had a developmental vision exam and at this point she needs a stronger prescription, though VT will be considered if this doesn't help her somewhat frequent headaches. We see the vision doc at the end of this month to reassess. Speech evaluation came back clear, and she starts OT come Monday for muscle weakness in her hand. We are plugging through Barton and have started level 3.

Prior to diagnosis her curriculum was...

Math- MM5 (with me), TT, and Khan

English- Rod and Staff 5 (mostly oral with me)

History/science- MOH and apologia- read aloud by me followed by dictated summary by her

Writing- using WWE techniques with various nonfiction books

Latin- Prima Latina

Vocabulary- sadlier Oxford vocabulary workshop

Spelling-AAS

Typing, awana, Bible, and piano

Thoughts on returning to any ( or all? Or none?) of these come January? Because we are only beginning Barton 3 I'm not continuing on with spelling or English at this point. :-)

What about Latin? I'm not seeing a whole lot of retention, but she seems to enjoy doing it with her younger brother. Keep? Dump? Finish this year then stop foreign language altogether?

Vocabulary- love this program, but no retention with her. I'm looking at maybe Marie's vocab cards??

Writing- no questions yet- I'm processing the amazing amount of great info in the recent threads

Piano- she enjoys it immensely- but absolutely hates the theory work. She has quite a bit of trouble reading the music and remembering the names of the notes. Is it possible for her to continue lessons without the theory portion of it? Any advice from those who have btdt?

also- random question- she recently got a kindle and is carrying it everywhere! Is there anything on the market that can make it more like the Walkman of the 80s and have it somehow attach to her body? 😄 That was the best purchase second only to Barton btw.

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you probably don't need AAS and Bartons, if you are looking to drop something. Oh, it looks like you are planning on that. I can only share what we have done with a similar age daughter...not sure if it work with everyone. We did do a Mavis Beacon typing program for 10-15 minutes,copy work as tolerated once we were through Bartons 4/5. Learning Ally for lots of books on age appropriate lists like sonlight, Mother of Divine Grace, Ambleside, ect. I also let her download books also just for fun, and gave her time to listen. We dialed back everything else. Focused primarily on Bartons, Math , and increasing her enjoyment of books. I did buy a fancier Franklin speller and she uses an iPod ask Siri function for spelling and meanings of words. He vocabulary increased by listening to all of those wonderful books. I wish I would have also added some art and hands on science projects. I don't have any direct information about music..though it would seem that being taught to play pieces by ear would be something your daughter would enjoy. Some great musicians only play/ learn this way. We are hoping to start Latin by learning vocabulary in picture form like Jerry Lucas memory programs , perhaps this method would help?

So we did MathU see transitioning to Saxon after Delta, no grammar till after Bartons 8, typing ,copy work,And listening for hours to wonderful books. HTH

Only have a moment but check out Simply Music for piano.  Look on Homeschool Buyer's Co-op for a discount and lifetime access.  Great program that I highly recommend for kids that struggle with the theory and even note reading side.  Music is like learning a different language.  Most music programs start with learning the written part paired with tying that written part to music.  But just like with learning to read and write our spoken language being a struggle for many dyslexics the same process in music can be incredibly challenging.  Simply Music sort of flips everything on its ear.  Much more accessible.  

And I WISH I could find a case that allowed DS to carry his Kindle easily, like a walkman.  Surely there is one out there somewhere...

Hmm, you mean with a clip or belt loop? Dunno.  My ds kindle is in a fintie.  It was only $10 on ebay and the thing is OUTRAGEOUSLY nice for the money.  I think this might be what we have.  Comes in loads of colors.  We got the brown, but all of them are cute.  I got another in the larger size for ipad for my SIL and it was fine too.  The magnets work GREAT, the price is great, and it really does ok with falls.  It makes it just grippy enough he just hauls it around with him as he moves around the house.  I wouldn't go seeing how much you can abuse it in the case, but really it has survived typical 6 yo abuse.  I thought for the money it wouldn't stand up to anything and it has been fine, really decent.  

Oh duh, here's the link!  Fintie PU Leather Folio Case Cover Stand For Kindle Fire HDX 7 7" 2013 Model Tab 

I'm just thinking out loud here.  Could you sew a strap or loop onto the fintie case before you install the kindle?  I'll bet you could...

Disclaimer: If you have the wifi ON on the device, I personally wouldn't attach it to his person.  The evidence isn't clear on biological effects.  There is data on call held on the person for long periods of time and besides tissue warming (cell damage, cooking) it can also cause bone loss, etc.  We have no clue what the slight biological effects could be of wearing a device on your person.  Oh, that's cell phone, which has cell, microwave, all sorts of radiation.  Anyways, that's my health-nut disclaimer.  My ds' kindle has the wifi off.

And yes, you can sew through leather with a sewing machine.  Just slow down and use the right needle.  Or maybe google for cases for kindle with belt loop?  Surely someone else has done this?  Otterbox and major companies make nifty cases for war portability, but you'll ahve $50 into them oftentimes, ouch.  

Ok, crazy thought.  You could switch to a kindle fire phone (turn the cell off says the health nut), still have all his media and the interface he's used too, and have it be more portable.  Amazon lists TONS of belt holsters for the fire phone. I assume you can play media and leave the cell off?  Can you buy it without a contract? 

I'm looking, and the fire phone is $229 unlocked and includes a year of prime, making it basically $129.  If you need to renew your prime anyway, might be something to look into. 

If you did that, you could throw checklist apps, quizlet, reminders, calendar, etc. on there too.  For a kid with EF deficits, having something that size on his person at all times makes sense.  You could put alarms into the calendar and put them on vibrate to help guide him through his day.

The reviews are saying the price had been $199 in November and now it's $230, ouch!  Even so, I'm loving this idea.  For kids who are using that ecosystem a lot, it could be great.