Menu

What age would you tell your child about Santa, if they never asked?

Tap

137 members have voted

1. 1. What age would you tell a child about Santa, if they hadn't already asked?

• 4 or under
    • 12+
    • We never played along with Santa traditions.
    • I would never tell them the truth, they would have to figure it out themselves
    • Santa is real!

Never

My kid recently asked (9) if I believe in Santa.  I said yes I believe in the magic of Santa.  And I do.  I'm pretty sure he knows, but he still enjoys it so we all go along with it.  My first figured it out very young.  I think he was rather bummed that he figured it out.  And amazingly he has never ruined it for his brother.  I think because he too believes in the magic of Santa. 

My kids figured it out, asked me about it, and I said "oh good, now I don't have to pretend any more."  But then they thought better of it and said, "but maybe Santa brings the presents and you wrap them."  LOL.  Breaking up with Santa is hard to do.  :P

My perfectly developmentally typical 8 year is totally sold on the Santa thing.  A couple years ago I think he suspected, but he chose to believe.  My 9 year old niece still believes.  Heck, my 11 year old nephew still clings to Santa being real.  I'm pretty sure he knows, but he chooses to believe.  I wouldn't tell a kid arbitrarily just because.

We told one of our kids when he was 11. He still totally believed, and we didn't want him to be completely embarrassed in front of his friends.  He got very upset, and yelled at us, "You're not Santa Claus, you're Santa FRAUDS!"  We knew then that he could deal with it, lol.

My brother never figured it out either, and went so long that we had to tell him. He was really upset. The first words out of his mouth were "Mom and Dad lied to me."

My 9 year old is still going strong, and I know a couple of 10 year olds that are, too. I feel no need to squash that belief, because once it goes, so does a lot of the 'magic' of childhood. There is plenty of time for reality, but such a short window of time that allows for that pure, innocent belief that anything and everything is possible. I have intention of going to any great lengths to encourage the belief, but as long as she wants to play along with it, then I am more than happy to, as well.