Menu

Jann's in TX PreA I & II compared to Derek Owens PreA

I have not used Jann in TX, but my understanding is that her classes actually meet online every week at a scheduled time, so there is class interaction and a yearly schedule that one adheres to (I think - I could be wrong).  In Derek Owens' classes, the lessons are prerecorded, and he has a suggested schedule, but you can go through the program as quickly (or as slowly) as you would like.  You can view the videos at your convenience at any time of day, but you do not have class interaction.   If you have a student who can get through the material quickly, you can save money with DO as you pay by the month. 

We are very happy with Derek Owens here, but I have also heard very positive things about Jann's classes as well.  I don't think that either one would be a bad choice to be honest.  Good luck.

We've only used Jann, and only for a few weeks. She is SO nice! Amazing customer service, so sweet. And my son says she is a great teacher. He has live classed twice a week, and if he needs extra help she will do private tutoring, at no extra cost. She said that is her incentive to teach well..the better she teaches in class, the less tutoring she has to do :)

We use Jann in TX and we LOVE her class, OK my son LOVES her class and I love that he loves it.

The Honors Pre-A meets twice per week for about an hour I think.  My son takes two online classes and he loathes the other one and loves Jann's.  So you can see that it's not that he is just easy to please or has no comparison.  

She is kind and interesting but no nonsense.  

She lets the student ask questions whenever they need to.

She is a good teacher.  I mean, that's the point right?  She makes sure they understand the math.

She gives the PERFECT amount of homework.  He has been well prepared for every single test.  

The Lial's book makes sense, but it's really her teaching that is doing most of the work...so don't look at Lials' and make any decision about the quality of the class.  Like a good instructor, the book is just a tool for her.

If your student is really stuck between classes, and you can't help him, you can email her or the student can email her and she will get back to them very quickly. She would rather that they understand.  

She also knows the kind of habits and mistakes students are likely to make, so she trains them out of habits that they can't take with them into Algebra, everything from not using the calculator now and then, to using regular paper (not graph paper),to lining up their work correctly, to learning to actually use improper fractions in algebra.  These kids will go into Algebra remembering her say over and voer and over "if you don't show your work you won't get the credit," or, "now you need to use the improper fractions for Algebra. Don't change them into mixed numbers," or whatever other habit 7th graders are likely to have.

We are THRILLED with Jann.  Very blessed to have her helping out.

So, what makes Jann's pre-a course honors? The reason I ask is that I have a kid who is the antithesis of "mathy". For various reasons I need to outsource his math classes. Can a young man (13) who views math as no better than a torture device invented to make his days longer and more frustrating successfully complete her honors pre-alg course?