Menu

Lip balm stain

Night Elf

Dd16 used the back of her hand to wipe off lip balm and it got on her brand new hoodie. It's a polyester/rayon mix. How can we get that out? I tried rubbing alcohol but it did nothing. Now I'm hoping the rubbing alcohol won't mess it up. Can this be treated and fixed or should I just go buy a new one?

I, too, use (Dawn) dish soap on grease or oil stains. I discovered it a couple years ago and was amazed I hadn't known about it all these years! It's awesome!! So easy!

All I do is squirt some on the spot, rub it in, and toss it in the wash. I do it when I see the spot, so it might be a few days before sticking it in the wash (I just squirt it on the spot and throw the item back in the hamper), or right before. Seems to work great either way. I rub it in for a moment, but I am not even sure that matters. Can't hurt though. No more washing the item 20 times with every stain remover imaginable! I've never had it damage anything, and I've used it dozens of times. 

I'll third the Dawn rec. I use it on so many stains now, especially food stains or anything else that may be oily. I even bought a shirt at the thrift store (a nice name brand) with a big stain on the front. Took a chance on it, and Dawn got it out. :)

I usually scrub it on with a toothbrush, then toss it in the wash as usual.

If you have exhausted all other options, Lestoil rubbed into the spot works very well on oil-type stains. It has a strong odor, so wash the garment alone, and plan on needing to wash several times.

My MIL is legendary for getting out stains noone else can, and this is her go-to for tough stains.