Menu

Math for dd5

MotherGoose

DD5 will finish Singapore Earlybird B shortly. She'll be 6 in March. She is my more "mathy" child, in that math makes her happy :) She's also not pencil-phobic. She can write most numbers accurately, although she sometimes still does 21 for 12 and such. Do you think we should go ahead into Singapore 1A? She loves workbooks. She still confuses + and - sometimes, although if I say it in words, she completely understands. I have Miquon, most of the levels, and we've done some of it, but I think that lots of the things in Miquon may be too abstract for her--especially if we do it in order. I've also looked at MEP Primary year 1. I did Saxon 1with her older sister, and I don't want to do that. She's not ready to memorize like Saxon requires. Thoughts?? Thank you! Need to think this through.

What makes you say Miquon would be too abstract? Using the c rods is very concrete.

You could gently start Singapore 1A without issue, I'd bet.

Maybe abstract is not the right word...it just seems that some of the topics are a bit beyond her since she's still very young in her thought processes. Doesn't Orange introduce multiplication and such? She's not there yet--still confusing + and - symbols. She does love the C-rods though. :)

Orange introduces multiplication, but that can wait until she's ready. We use it on and off and often repeat lessons. I thick we've done all of thread A and S from the Orange book, and are cycling through C, D, H and X. And I think we'll be cycling through them for a while, by the looks of it. CSMP K is pretty interesting and doesn't require writing, and there's a minimal amount of writing in MEP1. I think we started MEP1 about half way through CSMPK. I'm not sure if that timing would suit other people's kids though. 

From your description, I'd give CSMPK a go, but I know nothing about Singapore.