Menu

Oh math gurus, please help me with Geometry

This is for my 14 year old son for next year.  We had planned to outsource math to a university model school next year, but this has proven not to be practical so I am back to the drawing board.

This son tends towards math meltdowns.  Math is his strongest subject overall, ironically.  He is an average student and requires repetition to cement new concepts.

He did SM through 6B (but struggled mightily with level 6).  He made it through AoPS Pre-A pretty well last year.  He bombed out of AoPS Algebra about eight weeks into the year.  He was misunderstanding concepts in a way that baffled me.  We borrowed Saxon Algebra for a week while I researched and waited for Foerster's Algebra to arrive.  Saxon was not a bad fit for him, but it is not my preferred choice for Algebra, and since he needs me to work with him at elbow, I need to like the math curriculum, too.  He and I both like Foerster's very well.  We are 4-5 weeks into Foerster's.   Imagine my horror when the university model school fell through and then I discovered that Foerster's Geometry is a fictional character. 

I have researched Jacob's Geometry and think it will be too "busy" for him.  I own an older edition of Chalkdust's Geometry program and am considering this.  I will also consider an online class, but he is easily overwhelmed and requires a fair amount of support from me to manage his frustration.  This is my kid with some minor special needs, and these really show during our math time.  The big issue we will have next year is that I cannot teach Geometry effectively.  I am an adequate Algebra teacher given a good text like Foerster's.  Not so with Geometry.  I need him to work independently or for this to be outsourced.  I can hire a tutor if needed.

So I need a Foerster's-like Geometry program or an online class that will work well for an average student without overwhelming him with a fast pace.  I don't want Saxon or AoPS.  Help.  :)

• Like 2

Okay, I found it, and she uses a Holt Geometry text.  I am not familiar with this text, but since it is not on my "disapproved" list, it is a possibility.  It sounds like this is a live class, like a Skype sort of thing?  I have never used Skype, but this class is a possibility.  Thank you for mentioning it.  I was vaguely aware of her classes, but this made me take a closer look.

ETA:  Posted at the same time as the above poster.  :)

Can someone who is familiar with both Foerster's Algebra and Holt Geometry give me a sense of how seamlessly a kid who does not like change will move from one to another?

The Geometry Thread of Epic Proportions might be a good resource. I am on my iPad and cannot provide the link, but it lists multiple programs. Geometry is not my strongest either. I'm sorry your plans keep crumbling on you. How frustrating!

ETA: My son just showed me how. Here is the thread: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/514183-epic-thread-of-geometry-programs-or-geometry-thread-of-epic-proportions/page-2?hl=geometry&do=findComment&comment=6029156

• Like 1

The Geometry Thread of Epic Proportions might be a good resource. Ni am on my iPad and cannot provide the link, but it lists multiple programs. Geometry is not my strongest either. I'm sorry your plans keep crumbling on you. How frustrating!

Thank you!

I did look at that thread, and I have been searching up several others.  It has been a little rabbit trail sort of an afternoon.  :D

I believe my ds would benefit from a live teacher rather than a DVD.  Online is just fine, I think.  I see that Jann offers extra help at no extra cost, and the Holt Geometry text seems a middle of the road one with enough review to keep my ds fresh from my research thus far. 

The university model school was fabulous!  BUT it was going to cost about $4000 for math and science for the year for this one child, plus the logistics of getting him there and back three times a week for a three hour block, traveling 30 minutes each way while trying to balance the schooling for the other two kids was simply not feasible.  If he were my only, I could make it work.  I'm glad we looked into it, though, so I can comfortably cross it off the list of potentials. 

Thank you!

I did look at that thread, and I have been searching up several others. It has been a little rabbit trail sort of an afternoon. :D

I believe my ds would benefit from a live teacher rather than a DVD. Online is just fine, I think. I see that Jann offers extra help at no extra cost, and the Holt Geometry text seems a middle of the road one with enough review to keep my ds fresh from my research thus far.

The university model school was fabulous! BUT it was going to cost about $4000 for math and science for the year for this one child, plus the logistics of getting him there and back three times a week for a three hour block, traveling 30 minutes each way while trying to balance the schooling for the other two kids was simply not feasible. If he were my only, I could make it work. I'm glad we looked into it, though, so I can comfortably cross it off the list of potentials.

I am happy to provide distractions for the afternoon. Personally, I should be doing the dishes :)

• Like 3

I need to be doing a lot of things.... ;)

I showed Jann's classes to ds and explained the concept, and he was quite open to it.  He wanted to make sure that this course will prepare him for college, and I can't see why not?  Though I am no geometry expert.  Also, he asked if he can preview a video of her teaching prior to "signing up for a whole year".  That seems like a reasonable thing to do. 

This feels like it might just be the fit we have been looking for, and I will gladly hand off the reins of math education to someone more qualified than I am.  :D

• Like 3

I need to be doing a lot of things.... ;)

I showed Jann's classes to ds and explained the concept, and he was quite open to it.  He wanted to make sure that this course will prepare him for college, and I can't see why not?  Though I am no geometry expert.  Also, he asked if he can preview a video of her teaching prior to "signing up for a whole year".  That seems like a reasonable thing to do. 

This feels like it might just be the fit we have been looking for, and I will gladly hand off the reins of math education to someone more qualified than I am.  :D

I was going to suggest Jann as well based upon your description, especially given that Jann provides tutoring at no additional charge.  Even though I selected Wilson Hill Academy's Geometry course for ds13 this year I may still consider Jann for one our dds once they get there.  Our middle dd struggles a bit more with math and I think she may need some extra help.  I do really like WHA and the Jurgensen text is excellent.  Yet I consider it more on the moderate to challenging side given the greater emphasis on proofs. I think Jann also tries to tailor her course a bit more depending on a child's needs. At least that was my impression based on our conversations.  Whereas WHA is more a standard college prep style High School Geometry course.  I recommend emailing Jann.  She is very responsive and helpful.

• Like 1

I was going to suggest Jann as well based upon your description, especially given that Jann provides tutoring at no additional charge.  Even though I selected Wilson Hill Academy's Geometry course for ds13 this year I may still consider Jann for one our dds once they get there.  Our middle dd struggles a bit more with math and I think she may need some extra help.  I do really like WHA and the Jurgensen text is excellent.  Yet I consider it more on the moderate to challenging side given the greater emphasis on proofs. I think Jann also tries to tailor her course a bit more depending on a child's needs. At least that was my impression based on our conversations.  Whereas WHA is more a standard college prep style High School Geometry course.  I recommend emailing Jann.  She is very responsive and helpful.

Thank you so much for the additional feedback.  For this child of mine, I think this is about as good as it gets in terms of a match.  I will email Jann, but unless I hear something drastically different than what I expect, I think this is our plan.  And it feels so wonderful to have a plan.  :)

• Like 2

The Geometry Thread of Epic Proportions might be a good resource. I am on my iPad and cannot provide the link, but it lists multiple programs. Geometry is not my strongest either. I'm sorry your plans keep crumbling on you. How frustrating!

ETA: My son just showed me how. Here is the thread: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/514183-epic-thread-of-geometry-programs-or-geometry-thread-of-epic-proportions/page-2?hl=geometry&do=findComment&comment=6029156

How DO you link from an iPad? I'd like to know.

Don't tell younger ds, but I am considering this class for him, as well.  I will continue to evaluate how he does with AoPS Algebra, but he is proving to need a bit more help from me with Algebra than I will be able to give with Geometry, which may sway me to pass off his math education to a qualified professional.  ;) 

Actually, I mentioned the possibility of him taking the online class, and he freaked out.  lol  He needs to calm himself down.

• Like 1

How DO you link from an iPad? I'd like to know.

So you type out your post and post it. No link. Then you open an additional tab in Safari, copy the link, and go back to your post. You then edit your post and paste the url in wherever you want it.

If you try to open the tab and copy before posting, it will eat your post and you have to retype. Sometimes it will toggle between the tabs, but often not. I still have yet to figure out why it eats it sometimes and not others. So just post it and then jump right back and inset the url. It will auto link as long as it Contains the entire url.

This ten year old is pretty great to have around sometimes!

• Like 3

So you type out your post and post it. No link. Then you open an additional tab in Safari, copy the link, and go back to your post. You then edit your post and paste the url in wherever you want it.

If you try to open the tab and copy before posting, it will eat your post and you have to retype. Sometimes it will toggle between the tabs, but often not. I still have yet to figure out why it eats it sometimes and not others. So just post it and then jump right back and inset the url. It will auto link as long as it Contains the entire url.

This ten year old is pretty great to have around sometimes!

Very, very logical. Of course, I had no idea, lol. Many thanks to your ds!

• 2 months later...

Update:  We used Foerster's Algebra 1 until he stalled out in Chapter 5, which moves quickly and is light on explanation/teaching.  I hired a tutor for three weeks.  Then I contacted Jann in Texas regarding her classes, and she allowed us to watch a couple of her online algebra classes.  I realized her class is a good fit for him, and he joined the following week (in progress) and will make up needed work in the summer to complete his Algebra 1 credit.  He is already signed up for Jann's Geometry class for next year.  Her teaching really resonates with him, and the class is at a pace he can handle well.  Win-win.  :)

• Like 5

Update:  We used Foerster's Algebra 1 until he stalled out in Chapter 5, which moves quickly and is light on explanation/teaching.  I hired a tutor for three weeks.  Then I contacted Jann in Texas regarding her classes, and she allowed us to watch a couple of her online algebra classes.  I realized her class is a good fit for him, and he joined the following week (in progress) and will make up needed work in the summer to complete his Algebra 1 credit.  He is already signed up for Jann's Geometry class for next year.  Her teaching really resonates with him, and the class is at a pace he can handle well.  Win-win.  :)

It's always great news to hear when a good fit for a child is found like this.  Thanks for the update, texasmama.  Let us know how Jann's classes go as he continues.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I would highly recommend checking into TabletClass Geometry. I've had two daughters complete the course (one VERY math and one who works hard but just  wants to do well and be done), and a third enrolled for this coming year. The class is self paced and IF a student (or parent) needs any type of guidance, the program developer (John Zimmerman) is very kind, encouraging, knowledgeable and prompt in response.