Menu

Language arts for 5th grade?

Hannah

I have a friend who will be starting to homeschool her son for 5th grade from January (the start of our school year). She needs suggestions for 5th grade Language Arts please. She would prefer a more school-at-home approach to start with.

In terms of grammar Rod and Staff is very booky and schoolish. The teacher guide is well laid out and the curriculam is rock solid.

If she is looking for a combo of literature and grammar Total Languge Plus is worth a look.

I really like Queens Language Lessons for a gentle, arty, type take on LA.

Many of my friends have transitioned from PS to Abeka, I have never even looked at their curriculam, but they have a good, general reputation.

I have a friend who will be starting to homeschool her son for 5th grade from January (the start of our school year). She needs suggestions for 5th grade Language Arts please. She would prefer a more school-at-home approach to start with.

How about Galore Park's So You Really Want to Learn English 1 or 2? You can check it out at GP's website and order it from Book Depository. I ordered this to use this year for Grammar for my 6th grader (book 2) and she's loving it. The only thing you'd need to add is some additional outside reading of whole books and spelling. This program is just perfect. We use a CM approach in our schooling, so if you like you could exclude the writing assignments if you are doing other writing, but it sounds like your friend is interested in the school at home approach, then everything is covered by this program. We used Junior Analytical Grammar last year and Rod and Staff the year before. My child, by far, likes the Galore Park program best so far. The recommendations for outside reading are really fabulous, too. There's also a Galore Park yahoo support group.

Anita

I love BJU English if a traditional textbook is what is needed. We did 5th last year and wish we had done it all along. We are doing 6th this year and will continue for 7th. We will probably continue it on past that. You can purchase it cheaper through Christian Liberty Press. They have permission to print a teacher's manual for just a few dollars. It's basically an answer key, with some instruction on the writing chapters.

There were 16 chapters 8 grammar, 8 writing projects. They alternated so you had variety. It included writing projects like compare/contrast essay, a play, research report, poetry, business letter, etc.

Last year was our first year homeschooling we came from public and my son started with Abeka language arts it was a good transition for us. Very easy to ease into it he was in 4th grade. This year we are switching over..we tried LLATL but didn't like and are going to try the Latin Road to English.

I use the following for my 5th grader starting next week:

1. Grammar=Growing with Grammar

2. Spelling=copywork and dictation

3. Writing=Writing Tales

4. Reading=Story of the World, Plutarch, Shakespeare, and Christian Liberty Reader 5 and Life Science

5. Vocabulary=Latina Christiana

I think that I covered my whole language arts program for my 5th grader.

Blessings in your homeschool journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony