Menu

Self-ed, AOPS: Where to Start?

I loved math in school, but that was twenty years ago. At that time, I went through calculus. All of my classes were more procedural than conceptual, and I'm not sure I ever did really understand underlying concepts in anything other than Algebra. In the last twenty years, I haven't used any math on a regular basis outside of the usual day-to-day stuff like budgeting or tipping.

If I wanted to do some self-ed with AOPS, purely for enjoyment, what book would you recommend I start with? Anything you would recommend for a quick math refresher beforehand? In general, I'm not a fan of video-based teaching and prefer books.

I decided to start with ordering Intro to Algebra. I spent a few hours on Alcumus and that was all coming back to me really easily. I did have a solid understanding through Algebra and loved doing MathCounts prep way back in 8th grade. It's geometry and Calculus that completely lost me. I'll try starting with Algebra, a subject I know I enjoy, and then move on to include Geometry later and see if it makes more sense to me now.

Thanks for the advice!

Same here, went through calculus about 100 years ago, etc. I started with AoPS Pre Algebra. Plenty of challenge, and I think my brain is still reasonably functional, lol. AoPS ramps everything up a notch, more sophisticated approach in general. Plus, a lot of the problems are from math competitions, so they keep you on your toes.

Other things to look at are free, online courses like MIT open courseware and ITunesU.

FWIW, I worked through pre-algebra on Alcumus before starting Intro to Algebra, and my mathematics education was not dissimilar to yours. I'm finding it all fairly straightforward, and getting through a couple of chapters a week. I'm about to add Intro to Geometry, and will work through them concurrently.

I'm excited for you. :)