Menu

Looking for an easy way to explore the German language

My 13yo is wrapping up Getting Started With Latin. She loves Latin, but would like to play around with German before committing to high school Latin studies.

She'll have a semester to try it out and see what she thinks.

Is there any curriculum or some... thing that could work for such a short period of time. Audio, books, workbooks, dvds? I want to be careful to give her something that'll reel her in, not bore her and quickly turn her off to the language. 

If she chooses German, my plan is to put her in an online class next fall.

Thanks in advance for any ideas. I'm totally lost on this one! :)

I would consider Assimil German with Ease.

Its a book with 100 lessons and 4 CDs.  I personally love methods where you can hear everything read by a native speaker.  The product is aimed at adults, but I think it would be accessible to a 13 year old.  It's also aimed at self-learners, so she could be fairly independent.

Thanks for all the ideas! I'm going to go through everything tonight. :) 

I don't speak any German... 

This is mostly for exposure, not to add massively to her work load. I've been listening to German this weekend and I'm starting to hope she chooses it. I like it!

Is there a German school nearby?  There is a big nationwide network of them.  Our local one offers 3 hour classes on Saturdays during the school year.  They accept students at all levels, and use an immersion format.  One nice thing about ours is that they celebrate the folk culture holidays of Germany, like St. Martin's Day or Maifest.  Another is that they only hire native speakers, so the accents are authentic.

For plain exposure, nothing beats shows in German - either native German shows or favorite shows translated into German (Disney is great for this). German music is good too. What genres does she like? I can recommend some music. There are also some decent podcasts out there.

Personally, I have found I get the most into a language if I really immerse myself into the culture, music, books, and movies before I start with the sit down studying.

Course-wise, Duolingo is good for basic exposure, Assimil, German made Simple... Lots of free websites too.