Menu

sequential spelling

EmilyGF

I used the teacher book (not the DVDs) for my natural speller boys.  We made it through three books, and I stopped it due to them being good spellers.  I will be using it for dd at some point, maybe next year.  None of my kids need special, incremental spelling instruction, though. 

How old is dd? I'm using ss with my 6yo but Megawords with my older (who is a very intuitive speller.) IMO Megawords is a far superior program and less boring - but I would think you wouldn't want to start it before gr. 3 (or a really advanced gr. 2.) SS is a bit boring and doesn't give much in the way of actual spelling instruction (it's based on word families.) Megawords teaches spelling rules and syllabication (breaking words down.) It is based on reading fluency and rules. That said, I'm not totally unhappy with SS. It's quick and independent and my dd is learning from it.

I found with my natural spellers that they needed very little formal spelling work. I think SS would work well ( used it with some unnatural spellers) if you're going to use it just to review some of the basic rules and use it as long as she needs it.  You may find that she ages out and especially if she's a visual learner.  

Lisa

My dd is 8, and not a natural speller, but she is a natural reader, so she can almost always tell when a word is spelled incorrectly, but doesn't know how to fix it. AAS was torture for us. She also doesn't do well with memorizing rules. She's very advanced in reading, but I'm sure she can't tell you one phonics rule, although we went over them in OPGTR. I've done all the typical programs. I love Sequential Spelling. She does too (as much as one can love a spelling program when you are 8!) I'm seeing progress. Some of it is probably maturity, but it's the least painful program for us. We are also doing MCP's phonics program, which is also fairly painless--does it independently without complaining--because of some phonics gaps that were idenitified in standardized testing.

I use Sequential Spelling for Adults with my older elementary dd.  It streamlines the regular program into 2 years, and it seems to be working well with her.  She's more of a natural speller, though.  I also used it with my dd who is now in 8th grade.  We stopped about a sixth of the way through with her (end of the school year) and didn't go back.  She, too, is a natural speller and didn't need any more.

I use Sequential Spelling for Adults with my older elementary dd.  It streamlines the regular program into 2 years, and it seems to be working well with her.  She's more of a natural speller, though.  I also used it with my dd who is now in 8th grade.  We stopped about a sixth of the way through with her (end of the school year) and didn't go back.  She, too, is a natural speller and didn't need any more.

That's a good idea - I never looked at their adult courses.

My dd is 8, and not a natural speller, but she is a natural reader, so she can almost always tell when a word is spelled incorrectly, but doesn't know how to fix it. AAS was torture for us. She also doesn't do well with memorizing rules. She's very advanced in reading, but I'm sure she can't tell you one phonics rule, although we went over them in OPGTR. I've done all the typical programs. I love Sequential Spelling. She does too (as much as one can love a spelling program when you are 8!) I'm seeing progress. Some of it is probably maturity, but it's the least painful program for us. We are also doing MCP's phonics program, which is also fairly painless--does it independently without complaining--because of some phonics gaps that were idenitified in standardized testing.

This is a great description of my daughter, just turned 8, and reading things like Little Women and any book she can find. I think she just went from sounding out to sight words so quickly that she never noticed spelling.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to let the Board know we're using this with great success. DD loves it, it is easy to teach, and it is already transferring to her normal writing. She is such a patterns person in general so learning to spell based on patterns is great for her! She also likes that there are a variety of words and that is isn't treated to pre-digested chunks of knowledge.

Bean, my natural speller, would hate it.  She likes the approach of commonly-mispelled-words, because those tend to be the only words she has ever had trouble with. 

Buck, my dyslexic freshman, OTOH, has really clicked with SS.  

It's the first spelling program, at home or at school, that has worked for him.  Mathy/sciencey guy though, the pattern approach is probably his key...