Menu

Love is Art--what says the Hive??

Moxie

I'm fascinated by these kits (don't go to the link if you are the delicate sort).

www.loveisartkit.com

My question for the Hive is, if you saw that on a friend's wall, would you think, "cool art" or "looks like someone made Tea in a paint shop"?? 

ETA--I tried to link but my link button doesn't work.  Sorry!

That is so cool! I love that the kit even comes with foot covers so you don't track paint around...or end up stranded and covered in dry paint!

If I saw something similar on someone's wall I would think of this thread and blush. Prior to this thread I would just think 'cool piece'.

I would never, ever want to have the artists mention the process. "Say I see you noticed our painting! I'll let you in on a little secret...see that swirl over there? Well that was when your aunt and I..."

For myself...

Though I'd love to be someone who could let go and do that...I know I'd be paying more attention to the artwork and not the process!

I really don't want to know that much about people.  The word "narcissistic" keeps coming to mind but I'm not sure it's really the right word.  Maybe I'm just uptight about such things.   Wouldn't do it, wouldn't want to see/know about it in someone else's house.

Why would anyone know how the painting was made?  ...I'm thinking, first, it would be in someone's bedroom most likely, and also - why would anyone point out the process?

We have abstract art in our home - quite a bit.  We have a family full of artists, and many artist friends.  DH paints abstract, also.  So no one would ever be the wiser, I think.

That probably influences why I think it's just fun.  :)  

Of course, if your home is mostly traditional, conventional art, and there's one glaring piece that stands out, people might ask, and then the, ummm, artists might blush...  :laugh:

Why would anyone know how the painting was made? ...I'm thinking, first, it would be in someone's bedroom most likely, and also - why would anyone point out the process?

We have abstract art in our home - quite a bit. We have a family full of artists, and many artist friends. DH paints abstract, also. So no one would ever be the wiser, I think.

That probably influences why I think it's just fun. :)

Of course, if your home is mostly traditional, conventional art, and there's one glaring piece that stands out, people might ask, and then the, ummm, artists might blush... :laugh:

You are fortunate to not know any over-sharers!

I know people who if they had this kit would mention it to everyone who ever saw it!

You are fortunate to not know any over-sharers!

I know people who if they had this kit would mention it to everyone who ever saw it!

:lol:

Nope, I don't know many over-sharers.  DH and I would never share a peep about it either.  

Of course, now I'm wondering about a particular abstract piece we have in our studio, and wondering if anyone sees it and thinks it was a LoveIsArt piece??  Aaaack!  It wasn't!  It's by a semi-famous artist, but we don't share that info unless specifically asked.  Eek.  

Well anyone can do it, and do IT, without the kit. People have been making it on canvas since the beginning of paint, I'm sure. And knowing an over-sharer is more the issue than what they actually do with their together time.

Agreed.

... And now you have me wondering about some of the blotchier bits on the Lascaux reproduction that passed through town awhile back.... ;)

Also, truth be told, I would think the coolest part would be that only the artists know the origin.  Any sharing would ruin the intimacy, IMO.