Menu

How would you spell the sound short "i" makes?

Can you put the u above it? You know, when you look at the pronunciation of a word and they have those u's above the short vowels.

Those aren't us, they're breves. I wouldn't advise it, as in Latin that can indicate a short syllable.Could get confusing, though luckily we usually only mark the long syllables. Can't think the last time I saw it that way... Either way, diacritics get messy and ugly.

I suppose you could use this as an opportunity to learn IPA. (Translation: I think everybody should learn IPA.)

IPA vowel chart (with audio guides)

An IPA consonant chart for American English, no audio. (This is only a little useful, but you didn't even ask, so yeah.)

Those aren't us, they're breves. I wouldn't advise it, as in Latin that can indicate a short syllable.Could get confusing, though luckily we usually only mark the long syllables. Can't think the last time I saw it that way... Either way, diacritics get messy and ugly.

I suppose you could use this as an opportunity to learn IPA. (Translation: I think everybody should learn IPA.)

IPA vowel chart (with audio guides)

An IPA consonant chart for American English, no audio. (This is only a little useful, but you didn't even ask, so yeah.)

Windows 7 IE11 did not "see" the audio

each sub-topic was just another link