Menu

History for 4th grade 9 year old

AnointedHsMom

Ok I'm already doing some research for next year since I use our tax return and we buy in Feb. usually. I'm completely undecided on what to use. I've used HOD for a long time but this year we are using MFW Adventures and loving it. I'm on the fence about whether to use MFW ECC, HOD Preparing (my favorite guide from HOD incidentally), or be eclectic and choose from individual publishers for each subject. If I go eclectic I just don't know what's out there for history at this age. Well I do know about Abeka, BJU, Story of the World, and all the most used ones. I like the looks of Mystery of History but think it would be too much as this age. Is there anything else I'm missing as a stand alone history?

Any ideas, opinions or thoughts? He will be 9 and is a perfectionist and likes to use his hands for EVERYTHING! LOL

Ok I'm already doing some research for next year since I use our tax return and we buy in Feb. usually. I'm completely undecided on what to use. I've used HOD for a long time but this year we are using MFW Adventures and loving it. I'm on the fence about whether to use MFW ECC, HOD Preparing (my favorite guide from HOD incidentally), or be eclectic and choose from individual publishers for each subject. If I go eclectic I just don't know what's out there for history at this age. Well I do know about Abeka, BJU, Story of the World, and all the most used ones. I like the looks of Mystery of History but think it would be too much as this age. Is there anything else I'm missing as a stand alone history?

Any ideas, opinions or thoughts? He will be 9 and is a perfectionist and likes to use his hands for EVERYTHING! LOL

I was just going to suggest looking at Beautiful Feet. We enjoyed it last year. We would have stuck with it...love the literature approach to history...but we are using BookShark now (also literature based).  But, then I read your last sentence and wonder if he might enjoy History Odyssey...there's more hands-on with that (History Pockets).

We did MFW Adventures and loved it. :-) I ordered all of ECC and planned on using MFW all the way through. It was so boring for us though. I did not like the science as it was too much for my ds. Also the books seemed more text bookish and you would read a little from multiple books for history which I did not like. We sold it all and went to MOH. It was too much for my ds even though he never complained of it. I loved it, but I wanted him to love history more. I am still hanging onto it though! We went to HOD now. We are using Bigger and love it! ;-) One thing that drew me too was the increased independence which he needs to learn and what I need with 4 kiddos! HTH!