Menu

Christmas is around the corner

kahlanne

I have an new Christmas present idea for my kids. Instead of spending money on lots of toys that they rarely play with, I think I may spend it on a family vacation. I am just not sure where to which is why I am here. We live in Louisiana and have 6 kids ages 18-3. They are good with traveling long distances. They are pretty laid back and go with the flow type kids so I don't worry about each one having to be entertained at each moment. We went to Disney last year, our 3rd visit, and loved it. We usually do an Alabama beach trip every other year. The trip can be anytime during the year rather than Christmas; it would just be the "big" gift this year. We are open to pretty much anything. We love theme parks, sight seeing, zoos, etc. My kids are very active in sports so outside activities would work. I am not an outdoorsy person and the 3 yr old might be too young for most activities so it would have to have something extra for us to do at least once. Even though I would love a trip abroad, I cannot afford the flight for everyone so driving only. All 3 of our Disney trips, we drove 11 hours straight through with the kiddos. We are willing to make a similar drive or possibly longer with interesting stop in the middle. I would love to go to Washington, DC but dh's afraid the kids wouldn't find that exciting. Ex. they love going to the New Orleans Zoo and Aquarium but get bored if its just sightseeing there. It is okay if we do both in the day. I am afraid if the only thing for them is a zoo then they will think why did we come here rather than N.O. Zoo. Understand? Ideas? 

I loved visiting Wash DC, but you want to make sure that you're not "hijacking" their Christmas & turning it into homeschool.  :)

Our ds chose Wash DC for his senior trip (after graduation) with me, though, and we had a fantastic time.

Monuments, museums (like Spy, Air & Space), just experiencing city life (esp. the Metro).

The beach in Delaware (to the east of Baltimore=Rehoboth) was an easy way to satisfy his desire to see the ocean as well.

For our family, esp. the teens, it would not be a good "surprise" on Christmas morning--we'd need to talk about it ahead of time to adjust their expectations (and we're not big Christmas spenders).

But I have heard of wrapping up little souvenirs from the destination (esp. used off ebay) to have something for them to open up on Christmas morning.

This actually sounds like a fun solution to the Christmas Mayhem!

There's a lot more for kids in DC than just the zoo.  What are your kids' interests?  Would you be going at Xmas time?  

If you are, and the zoo will be on the list of to-dos, then you might check out Zoolights - go to the zoo at night, and see the lights. That might add a different twist.

The Smithsonian - so many things to do for kids!  The Spy Museum is great, too.  And the oft-forgotten Building Museum has a ton of kid activities for all ages.  It's a favorite here.

The older kids might like the Mansion at O Street.  We keep meaning to do this, even with our little along, and haven't done it yet. Self-guided tours are $10, look for secret passages and doors.  It really looks like fun.

There's a tour company that offers a scavenger hunt type tour, I can't recall the name off the top of my head, and your team uses a smart phone to find the clues, etc.  It also looks great, sort of Dan Brown-ish, but definitely fun for all. 

I can think of a ton more, but it would be better to know your kids' interests.  And yours.  

My kids love vacations and wouldn't mind receiving a trip as their "big" gift. I would still get them a couple of small gifts too. I don't want it to be only educational and sightseeing or they would be disappointed. As long as it is a mix of things to do they will love it.

I don't have a set time that we would go but due to schedules, I would say the options are during Christmas break which lasts until Jan 12., middle of February, or Apr 3-12.

Oh my, with so many olders, DC is definitely a must-do!  The littles won't get much out of it, but that just means you can do a return trip when they are older. We did a DC trip when mine were 14, 10, and 7 and loved it.  In fact the younger ones are now asking to go back.

Our favorites were the Bureau of Engraving and Printing and Mt. Vernon.  Oldest and dh also liked the Spy Museum, which is one of the things they youngers now want to go back and see.  We also did and enjoyed several of the Smithsonian museums and the various monuments. It was definitely not boring, so much to see! 

Two years after we vacationed in Washington, we spent a summer week in Chattanooga.  That was also fun and great for varied ages, so possibly another option for you.