Menu

starting in middle with science and history

Sharon

I will be hsing my ds (going into 4th grade from public school). I was going back and forth with which history portion to begin and had decided on Modern because it was already laid out in the WTM book and with this being an election year, thought it might work. I'm getting a little overwhelmed and losing confidence though (in laws are not happy with the hs decision and offering to help us send him to my older guys private school). Then I saw the starting in middle question from another new hsing mom also with 4th grade son and now I'm doubting my decision about starting with modern. I'm also wondering about science. I was going to do chemistry because my older guy will have it in high school this year and thought if they shared a few thoughts or similarities (as much as they'll be on 2 extreme levels) it might be somewhat interesting. Any thoughts?

I will be hsing my ds (going into 4th grade from public school). I was going back and forth with which history portion to begin and had decided on Modern because it was already laid out in the WTM book and with this being an election year, thought it might work. I'm getting a little overwhelmed and losing confidence though (in laws are not happy with the hs decision and offering to help us send him to my older guys private school). Then I saw the starting in middle question from another new hsing mom also with 4th grade son and now I'm doubting my decision about starting with modern. I'm also wondering about science. I was going to do chemistry because my older guy will have it in high school this year and thought if they shared a few thoughts or similarities (as much as they'll be on 2 extreme levels) it might be somewhat interesting. Any thoughts?

Start with the Ancients!

Can't tell you about the science - we just go with it when we find it in nature and we have been seriously studying the world around us FOREVER. I do more science than anything else.

I have a link you might like to check out:

It's organized unschooling - she has a kick butt syllabus and it covers everything.......

Syllabus

http://docsdomain.net/blog/?p=3

Intro and how to

http://docsdomain.net/blog/?p=41

Another vote for the ancients! It's fun, too.

As for science--ask your son what he would like to do! If you do choose Chemistry, though, I recommend the materials by R.W. Heller "Real Science for Kids." You might want to photocopy the science experiment handbook and do it with both boys on the weekend or something.

It's probably scary for your in-laws, as they probably don't know much about it. You can choose to educate them--or not. Depends on your relationship. At the end of the day, though, I hope the in-laws will respect your boundaries when you tell them, "no thank you, we know what's best"

Best of luck to you.

I would also agree to start with the Ancients, because it's the beginning, but really it's not that important if you have a hunch to start with Modern.All the levels are interchangeable. We started in the middle and it was fine. And don't worry too much about lining up with an older sibling at school. Do what works for your child, what will be engaging and interesting for your first year. Personally, I find biology and nature study the most engaging, but I know many weird people get a kick out of chemistry and physics :)

As for the in laws, it is very common for them to be concerned. Mine were, although they knew better than to mess with me.

I think homeschooling is healing for the heart and spirit for many kids, and so if you feel this is what you and your son need, follow your own intuition and don't be put off by well meaning but ignorant relatives. After a while, many of them come around to realising their grandchildren are not being locked up in a cupboard, isolated from the world and cloistered with overprotective parents, and are instead living productive, rich and interesting lives just like normal people. The institution of school is a strong concept in most people's minds, and it takes a bit of undoing. Once you no longer see the world that way, you wonder why you ever thought school was the only way to do things.

While we have homeschooled all along, we did not switch to classical education until a few years ago. Like several have mentioned, we began with Ancient History, and I'm really glad we did. It was really good for us to trace our history from beginning to modern chronologically, and this way we will go through the cycle twice by the time the kids graduate from high school.

One option if you want to take advantage of this election year is to do a module of sorts on elections--read and compare how people have come to power through the centuries (e.g., in Ancient Egypt the new pharaoh might be a commoner, so would marry the daughter of the old pharaoh in order to cement his claim to the throne; elections in Athens and Rome; U.S. elections in 1800 vs. 2008). When my kids were smaller, they devised their own method for learning about the elections after going to vote with us--they came home and held an election among my daughter's stuffed animals. :D

We are trying to do science the WTM way, but it hasn't always worked out perfectly. My kids are three years apart, and I try to keep them in the same area of science, too, so that they can talk about what they are learning (albeit on different levels, as you note).

Have you asked him what he wants to study? We brought ds back home after being in school last year for 4th grade. In 4th grade here you study state history and we as a family had already done Old Testament, Ancient, and a bit of world history with him. He wanted to do American; so we started this year doing SL Core 3 American history. We are only on week 2, so I can't really give you a good picture of how it is going but he really seems to enjoy it right now.

I just wanted to mentin this so it doesn't catch you unawares.

Sometimes, depending on the child and depending on the school experience, a child needs to "decompress." He has had the whole summer, so it will probably be OK, but don't be surprised if your child reacts negatively for a time. Mine wanted to homeschool (I brought him home after grade One) and yet he had difficulty sitting across from the table and being in a one on one environment. We did history and math and Bible at first--and lots of read alouds.

We had to build up a relationship that had been damaged by school--and I had to do a lot to build back his self-esteem. Every little thing he didn't understand was cause for a major meltdown and comments like, "I'm so stupid." We had to deal with that and tried to work at the same time--so those subjects were enough!

You are doing the right thing, absolutely. Never doubt that for a second.

when did you start in the middle? I really appreciated your response. I'm so nervous about all this because I still have 2 other children in school 15yods in secular private (which unfortunately may close next year), 12yodd in public... doing well academically and loves her friends. First year with 9yods hsing, don't have any materials yet (waiting for them to come)will start with a complete curriculum book, narrations from library books and dictation. I'm trying to be as strong as possible and just keep going forward. I know we'll find our spot with it all, I just don't want to lose family harmony. My hubby is so so about it all. Hoping he can come around a little to help with some things hsing wise here and there. Thanks again for your response,Sharon

)will start with a complete curriculum book, narrations from library books and dictation. I'm trying to be as strong as possible and just keep going forward. I know we'll find our spot with it all, I just don't want to lose family harmony. My hubby is so so about it all. Hoping he can come around a little to help with some things hsing wise here and there. Thanks again for your response,Sharon

Don't worry, you will do great!

Are you reading to him and discussing what you read? Is he reading for 30 minutes per day, and reading to you for 10? I would start with those now, in addition to the narration and dictation,and do them every day. Then add math after a week, and do it every day. Then add in the science and history. For history, I totally agree with all the others who suggested starting with Ancients. I have found that those themes just fascinating to children, and are referred to all the time in other reading, so familiarity with them is hugely important. Also, FWIW, some parents feel that the modern period is too dark and upsetting for 4th graders, and choose to avoid it at that age. It would be too bad if you reached that conclusion and had no ready alternative to use. SOTW1 is a bit 'young' in feel, especially for the first quarter of the book, but there is a lot of supplemental reading you can do and I highly recommend it. You'll want good books of Egyptian, Roman and Greek mythology, and you might look at the books by Miriam Greenblatt--she has written some very engaging biographies of historical figures that I think would be perfect for your son's age. She has one about Queen Hatshepsut of ancient Egypt, and ones about Julius Ceasar, Alexander the Great, and many others. These books are pricey, because they are beautifully illustrated with paintings, statues, etc. of the subject and her life and times. Each book has 3 sections--an engaging biography of the character herself, a long section describing her setting and how people lived then, and some original writing from that period. These books are great for giving a 'feel' for that time and place.

For science, I do like Real Science 4 Kids. Level 1 would be right for that age. It introduces chemistry, physics, and biology--10 lessons each. I have a Chem E background, and just loved the chemistry. I also loved the physics, although some found it dry. Biology is a little more spotty in content. I supplemented chemistry with "Awesome Ocean Science" and "Exploring the World of Chemistry". The second of those is Christian-friendly--you might want to preview it to decide whether it is acceptable to you. It is an outstanding 'flesh out' of the material in RS4K, but if I had to pick just one, I prefer RS4K because it introduces real scientific terms so that the language of science becomes familiar very early. There is a good Tiner book for physics as well--"Exploring the World of Physics".

While you are waiting for your curricula, why not let your son select a couple of Eyewitness science books to read or to have read to him? That's a great way to ease into this, and give him some exposure to science maybe at a little higher level than typical 4th grade school work.

when did you start in the middle? I really appreciated your response. I'm so nervous about all this because I still have 2 other children in school 15yods in secular private (which unfortunately may close next year), 12yodd in public... doing well academically and loves her friends. First year with 9yods hsing, don't have any materials yet (waiting for them to come)will start with a complete curriculum book, narrations from library books and dictation. I'm trying to be as strong as possible and just keep going forward. I know we'll find our spot with it all, I just don't want to lose family harmony. My hubby is so so about it all. Hoping he can come around a little to help with some things hsing wise here and there. Thanks again for your response,Sharon

We homeschooled from the beginning, but we began classical homeschooling when our son was in 7th grade and our daughter in 4th. Carol in Cal has given you some really great suggestions. As you begin your homeschooling journey, let me just say that the public library is definitely your friend!:D Let me add that, at the age of your kids, we found our public library a wonderful source of kids-level books on history and science topics. Especially with your younger child, I would encourage curiosity and exploration of a wide range of history and science topics. (I still remember when my then 4th grade daughter had to know everything about our body, and we virtually cleared the shelves of all the junior books on the brain, eye, ears, heart, lungs, skin, bones, etc.)

As far as history goes, we chose to do a quicker 2-year survey of world history when we began classical homeschooling and then to jump into the 4-year rotation when our kids reached 9th and 6th grades. I was not familiar with Susan Bauer's SOTW at that point, so we used Streams of Civilization for our 2-year survey. It was very accessible to our then 4th and 7th graders.

We have also had the habit of doing a lot of reading aloud with our kids, and we have continued it even as they get older because they (and we!) enjoy it so much. It makes for wonderful opportunities to discuss what we are reading right on the spot, and we've enjoyed some really sweet times together.

Again, best wishes as you take on this challenge! Homeschooling is very rewarding, but it will definitely stretch you!:)