Menu

3 yr HS transcript norm???

ValRN

The transcript should be accurate. You can show the courses by year, including high school level work completed in 8th grade; this is the typical approach and the one taken by public schools when students complete their requirements and graduate early. Alternatively you could do a transcript grouped by subject rather than year.

Even if he doesn't have four full years of high school, there are students at public schools who graduate in three years after completing all requirements; you wouldn't necessarily need to re-frame 8th grade as 9th, just show that all graduation requirements have been fulfilled.

Florida has a 3-year college prep high school graduation program. They reflect three years on the transcript.

Requirements:

4 English

4 math (Algebra I, Geometry, 2 upper level math)

3 science (one must be Biology and at least two with labs)

3 social science (world history, US history, US government, economics)

1 fine arts

3 electives (recommended at least two be foreign language)

We will be graduating dd in 3.5 years, but meeting the 4 year graduation requirements.

One of my son's only did three years of high school. We had a somewhat similar situation in that we decided in that third year that it would be his last, and he applied for colleges that fall. We did a transcript grouped by subject, without reflecting grade level or year taken. At the top of the transcript under his identifying data we listed the years of high school.

We will be graduating dd in 3.5 years, but meeting the 4 year graduation requirements.

My son did something similar. He did a couple of high school courses in 8th grade then completed four years' worth of the Florida requirements in the following three years. We organized his transcript by subject instead of by year and showed all the high school level courses he'd completed along with the grade, amount of credit and date completed (month/year).

I had a transcript organized by year sitting in my computer files, just in case anyone asked for it. (No one did.) That one showed a column for each of his three "official" high school years a column for "courses completed prior to 9th grade."

My high school only had three years: 10 - 11 - 12.  A few of the college applications we filled in were also only interested in the last three years, so presumably there are still some schools in the country on the junior high (7-9) and senior high (10-12) plan.

You can also put dates for the terms, instead of saying 9th, 10th, 11th.