Menu

Two to three weeks for Greece or Ireland, or???

JadeOrchidSong

We spent three weeks in Ireland this summer, and loved it. Don't overlook Northern Ireland if you go. That time of year, however, I might choose Greece or Italy, as the weather is likely to be better. Or maybe even southern France. That's wonderful.

It really depends what you are looking for. How important is the weather for you? It will likely be quite nice in Greece. Italy is a bit iffy and Ireland more so.

What kind of vacation are you looking for? Will you be on the move most of the time, trying to see as much as possible or do you plan on spending more time at one place? Are you more interested in historical sites or in culture or nature (or something else)?

Each of these places would be great for three weeks but which one fits your needs best is hard to say. At the very least we would have to know a bit more about your expectations. How old are the children? Will you be travelling independently or do you plan some sort of tour? How about the language? While you would probably be okay with English everywhere it would of course be easiest in Ireland.

What is it about these three countries that made you choose them? Maybe that would help narrow it down even further.

I've been to Italy and Ireland and both were great trips... I think it depends what you want to do. When we went to Ireland we drove around, stopped where we wanted, just found B&B's as we went, met a lot of local people, enjoyed the cliffs and the decaying castles... When I was in Italy, it was cities and walking and culture and history just nonstop. Of course, you can do Italy very differently and stay in the country, but to I think they're just really different trips.

My MIL lives in southwest Ireland.  We spent a month there (March to April) last year.  We had a great time exploring Kerry, Limerick, and Clare counties and also Dublin.  Weather was chilly and we needed a coat, but it wasn't too terrible.  It rains a lot there, but more drizzle and sprinkling than downpours.  We had planned to go to Wales where Jamie lived as a child and then to visit his aunts in England, but England ended up having tons of (very unusual for them) snow and the part of Wales where we would have gone had a measles outbreak.  So we spent the whole time in Ireland and it was fabulous!  We did get a little snow in Dublin, but it didn't stick and we still wandered around the city while it was snowing.  http://thefamilywho.wordpress.com/tag/ireland/