Menu

Chemistry science kits... Opinions?

mmasc

I want to get my 9 year old DS a chemistry experiment set for Christmas. He's very interested in science and I'd like a kit he can use fairly independently. I've looked online at the Thames and Kosmos ChemC1000 kit. I will be around to assist if needed, but he'd enjoy it much more if he could experiment by himself. We already do some fun experiments like mixing baking soda with vinegar, making polymer slime, etc. So my main questions are:

Will this kit add anything interesting to what we are already doing?

Is it a good kit/worth the money? (Reviews online are mixed)

If not, any other kit recommendations?

Thank you!

ETA: Changed title.

I find most kits are fun for a bit, but wear off quickly.

I like Brain Rohrig's books 150 Captivating Chemistry Experiments using Household Substances as well as 150 More...

http://www.amazon.com/Captivating-Chemistry-Experiments-Household-Substances/dp/0971848025

I love teaching hands-on science classes and this is one of my favorite sources for younger kids (and older as well).

We are Thames and Cosmos addicts here. Currently we own : solar physics workshop, physics workshop, Chem 3000, Wind Power, Electricity and Magnetism, & the Powerhouse. My son frequently uses them, sets them aside for a while, then goes back. One of their best qualities , IMHO, is their ability to be used and reused over and over.

The only one that was disappointing was the Powerhouse. It was a lot of hype for a styrophome, highly crumbly mess. Other complaints I have heard which are similar involve the perfume kits and some of the other kitschy ones. When it comes down to the actual hardcore science kits, we love them. If you can spring for the upgrades, do it. You won't be sorry. However they are spendy so I can understand if getting the 1000 is much more in price range than the 3000. Ours are always birthday and Christmas gifts too.

We have chem 3000.  It's working out great.  But it is not something I'd care to have my kid use independently.  You need to burn stuff and mix some chemicals that aren't too healthy (stuff like cyanide).  I don't know how chem 1000 and 3000 compare.  My guess is 1000 only contains some of the beginning stuff.  But even from the beginning it would be better to have supervision. 

You might like something like Lab in a Bag.  Those are pretty cool and I did allow my kids to use those independently.