Menu

We are YNAB failures...What can you tell me about mint.com?

Liz CA

We are failures at YNAB. Dh did not want to enter everything in manually and I was not much more motivated either. One one hand I complain how all info is now online but then I want a wizard to come in and synchronize everything from my bank to the software.

We are looking at mint.com. Any tips, opinions, warnings, raves?

We love it. It is so automatic. I can clearly see where our money is going. The hardest thing is the trips to target or Walmart. I have to remember to split it into separate categories. We have only been using it a few months so are just starting to switch our behaviors now that we have tracked things for a while

I found it frustrating because it was constantly failing to connect to our various banks. That was a couple of years ago, so maybe it's improved since then.

I want to say we initially had trouble when we signed up a few years ago but all accounts seem to synch really well now.  We do seem to occasionally need to reenter our passwords for our Chase accounts but that may be a security feature.

Awww.  Is the constant entering the problem?  I've used and love YNAB for quite a while now.

Yes it is.

YNAB supposedly has a feature where you can download it but they don't recommend it. I have never found it on the program. Perhaps it's something that was in progress.

Dh is looking at mint.com right now.

We tried mint.com and it seemed to just keep track of the amount spent, I wanted something that would help me budget to know WHERE I could spend.  One was proactive (YNAB) the other, reactive (Mint).

I see your point, it is work to constantly enter, but it keeps me paying attention to my spending and constantly managing our money.

Sorry to derail your post.  I'm not trying to change your mind, I was just curious.  It took me a while to get a system down but now that I've done that, I really appreciate its advantages.  Best of luck to you, money management is ... i dunno...stressful, I think.  Whatever system you use :)

We tried mint.com and it seemed to just keep track of the amount spent, I wanted something that would help me budget to know WHERE I could spend.  One was proactive (YNAB) the other, reactive (Mint).

I see your point, it is work to constantly enter, but it keeps me paying attention to my spending and constantly managing our money.

Sorry to derail your post.  I'm not trying to change your mind, I was just curious.  It took me a while to get a system down but now that I've done that, I really appreciate its advantages.  Best of luck to you, money management is ... i dunno...stressful, I think.  Whatever system you use :)

Don't see it as derailing at all. I welcome all opinions and advice. I was wondering if I had overlooked some vital function and was making it harder than it needed to be.

What is YNAB? 

If constant data entry is hanging you up, what about good 'ol fashioned cash envelopes? That's what I started using 7 years ago when I wanted to really reign in my spending and control where my money was going.  We made a budget on paper and paid all of the regular monthly expenses online. I made cash envelopes for the budget categories like grocery, misc, my personal fun $, clothing that fluctuated.  Using cash helped me decide whether to make the purchase at all, helped me to gauge how much was left for the month and helped me to decide to trade out some clothing money for a family night out splurge.  

No data entry necessary. I could not keep up with that kind of system. 

Lisa