Menu

(sculpey) clay and kids

athomeontheprairie

My oldest dd9 wants to sculpt with clay. For Christmas, id like to buy her some nice clay (and possibly tools?)

In reading reviews online I see people mix clay with other things and talk of binding out, etc.

If you use clay, what would you recommend she start with? (she's used clay designed for kids, I'm looking for the next step up)

Tia!

There are a few different brands of the polymer clay. I think we have used Sculpey III because it is a little softer and easier to work with. There are also some packages of tools that work well, and an extruder is fun to make long tubes with different shapes. She probably won't need to mess with the mixing unless she really gets into it, then I think there are products used to make it more pliable and easier to make detailed work.

It is fun and my daughter has spent hours making things, mostly tiny food for her dolls.

Hope that helps!

Random Sculpey thoughts from a former full-time Sculpey artist:

I prefer Sculpey III.  It can be very hard to work with right out of the package, and you really need to work with it.  One thing that is very helpful and fun, too: a pasta maker dedicated to Sculpey work.  You might find a used one someplace.  It helps to soften the Sculpey and get it ready for use.  And it can be great for blending colors.  Just don't use it for food afterward.  For larger pieces, a tinfoil base is helpful, and definitely follow baking directions.  Use found objects for texture, add ins, etc, just be sure the add ins are safe for baking.  

Fun!  My guy is almost ready for Sculpey - he loves to go into my studio and work, but we haven't done much actual Sculpey work, as it's still a bit hard to manipulate for him.  

(Gosh, my posts are sounding weird and disjointed lately - if you put them all together I sound schizophrenic.  Yes, I was a Sculpey artist for 4 years, prior to having kids.  Before that I was an archaeologist, before that I supported myself selling homemade soap through college.  I grew up in the art/craft show world so it's a natural fall back for me to jump back into the art world. Now I just stay home and teach munchkins.)

Oh!  Tools:  my absolute favorite are dental tools.  Yep.  Dental picks are the best.  Great for detail.  Ask your dentist for some.  :)  Other than that, just browse a bit and find the ones that look like they can be used for detail.  Big wooden ones are pretty but not as useful as one would hope.

My dd used to sculpt with sculpey a LOT.  She didn't like the *firmest* level of Sculpey because it took too much work for her to get it soft.  I'd go one down for a kid unless they have strong hands.  Some of the tools are good.  Access to some wire so she can make armatures is nice.  Really though, things like wire you can just buy in little packs when she realizes she needs it.  For a fun Christmas present, I would pair the sculpey with her own pasta roller (I got my dd one the day after Thanksgiving for $14 at Joanns!) and a dedicated toaster oven.  That way your oven won't smell funky every time she wants to cook something.  We cook ours in the basement stove.  

My dd liked to paint her projects after they were baked, so that's another thing to explore.  Maybe even just give her a $10 gift card to Hobby Lobby for paints and things.  :)

Don't bother with the tiny packs.  My dd didn't use the colors much either.  The original is nice for beginners begins it's soft and warms up more easily.  As you move up, it's going to hold detail better.  So when she wants to carve in little details, extrude hair, make delicate features (like scales on a dragon), they'll hold.  You'd have to have super strong hands to use 3, mercy.  My dd needed OT, so that's just not her reality.  So maybe start with one of original and a block of 2?  I'm trying to remember, but runs in my mind when my dd was that age I got her a large box of like 5 pounds of sculpey.  I think it was original.  I think it's ok to start that way, because a beginner is just trying things and exploring and not really there yet.  She'll develop her maturity with it and then want the firmer stuff to hold more detail.  I think just one big box of regular (which you can get with your michael's coupon) would be more than adequate.  

There are really cute books on figure sculpting btw.  I got my ds a little booklet he found at Staples of all places.  It was maybe $3 and had a bunch of techniques.  Then there are more involved books you'll find at Hobby Lobby but that would require knowing what she wants to make.  At that age my dd wanted to make things in her world (the dog, figures from Mr. Rogers, people she knew, etc.).

Sculpey Original Clay, 3-3/4-Pound, White  I'm not sure if this is a good deal compared to in stores, but something like this would be a wonderful present.  

Sculpey 5-In-1 Tool

Polyform Sculpey Super Slicer

Polyform Sculpey Style and Detail Tools, 3-Pack  I think my dd has these.

Polyform Sculpey Acrylic Clay Roller, 8-Inch  My dd enjoyed this.

Makin's Professional Ultimate Clay Machine  Don't pay this price, mercy, but it's a lot of fun.

AMACO Craft Clay Machine  This might be what my dd has.  But you know just try your kitchen store or whereever you can get a deal.

Sculpey Super Sculpturing Compound 1 lb. box, Beige  This is the firmer stuff like my dd went to, but see how much more expensive it is?  Original is FINE for a beginner.  When she needs something firmer, she'll start complaining that it doesn't hold what she's trying to do.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sculpey+book  A variety of sculpey books.  Your library will have them as well.   :)