Menu

South Islanders - the storm *just* hit us, how was it for you?

lewelma

Wow!  We are expecting 140km gusts this afternoon!  And in about 10 minutes we went from still to about 60km sustained.  My kids were jumping up and down and running from window to window.  Last time we had winds at 140 the upstairs window imploded.  So here's to hoping that does not happen again!

Ruth in NZ

Ok, now it is hail.  super cool.

We were going to have some friends over for games today, but I was not convinced that I could drive them home as the motorway is right next to the harbour. I'm sure there will be some flooding too.  We are supposed to get a LOT of rain.  Right now the rain is completely horizontal. 

My poor dh has to walk home this evening.... in a suit. :huh:

Be safe!

Didn't you have a big storm right before one of your science fairs too?

Good memory!  That was the one that blew out the window upstairs.  We have completely re-landscaped the south side of the house 8 months ago, so we are about to see how strong the plants are.  We chose plants from the Chatham Islands, because they are apparently great for wind.  If you want a little geography lesson for your kids, see if you can find them on a map, and then you will see why they are good with wind!

South aus here, no idea if it's a related weather system but we have forecast of up to 100kmh wind gusts which is high for here. Also warm with storm activity so a high fire danger day.

Definitely no fire risk here today.  Hope there will be no trouble for you!