Menu

How do you deal with this?

JadeOrchidSong

If you have a Minecraft server, are you or you dc ops? Are their friends granted op status? What happens when there are conflicts between the players? What if one player destroys another player's home or steal from another? What if there is bullying happening?

We are in the middle of dealing with this now. Hope to hear from you who are BTDTers. Thanks.

This varies widely by server.  If my kid's online time carries over to real life, we take a LONG break.  I am not going to negotiate online fights for them.  We've had small server at several points.  I just tell them to make their rules clear and consistent.  Ultimately, it's a game and I don't get too worked up about it.  It's each parents job to monitor their own kid's internet use, so I don't worry about other people's kids too much.  Our laptop that they play on is in the middle of the living room, so I know there is no horrible swearing or bullying going on.   

ETA - I just think it would be too hard to try and play middle man.  One person's online ganging up, is another person's legitimate game play.  My son quickly moves servers if he doesn't like the feel of them. 

Ds says that only the owner and admins have op status.  Moderators do not have op status but do have kick ability.  In order to permanently ban someone (usually for their third offense) the moderators have to make a sufficient case to the administrators and there has to be a majority agreement between them to prevent abuses of power.  Normal players are given only what they need (ie. special permissions for a specific area for creative purposes).  Command blocks in protected areas so that they can't be modified are used in stead of granting command permissions when possible.  On "pure vanilla" servers (unmodded) only the administrators get op powers and they act as moderators.  Administrators would need to agree in order to ban someone.  On modded servers he has ability to roll back damage to property which is usually accompanied by a kick and possibly a ban of the offending person.  Intentional property damage, killing someone who does not wish to engage in PVP and stealing items is considered griefing and is one of the stronger offenses on the servers.  (Cursing, advertising and hacking are considered worse.)

On request, he said that he would send a template for the rules he sets up.

DS10 is taking a little break from Minecraft right now because he was bullied on a server. A player constantly destroyed his stuff and told him he wouldn't stop unless he bought him an upgrade package. He came to me about it, we discussed it, and he said he wanted to step aeay for awhile. Now he is taking an online course on mods.

It's nice to know there are some nice servers out there. When he is ready, DS10 might explore some of them.

My boys are 11 and 9. We as parents do not have time to moderate. They pay for the server from their own money earned from selling books they wrote. They are accused of bullying. We have written a long list to explain to the other boy (their friend at church)and parents. My boys banned that boy for saying I hate you multiple times for not being allowed to be op. My boys do not steal or destroy anything. They have to deal with other boys doing so.

DS10 is taking a little break from Minecraft right now because he was bullied on a server. A player constantly destroyed his stuff and told him he wouldn't stop unless he bought him an upgrade package. He came to me about it, we discussed it, and he said he wanted to step aeay for awhile. Now he is taking an online course on mods.

It's nice to know there are some nice servers out there. When he is ready, DS10 might explore some of them.

That is absolutely awful!!! :angry:

I wish my ds was still playing Minecraft. He would have been happy to invite your ds to join his server. It was a tiny group, but ds thought that was better because he could keep an eye on things and make sure the kids were nice to each other. One kid was starting to get a little destructive but my ds told him that it was kind of funny at first but that he could tell it was hurting a younger boy's feelings, so it had to stop immediately. Fortunately, it all worked out, but I think part of the reason it did turn out OK was because the kid didn't want to get kicked out of the group and he knew ds wouldn't put up with any nonsense.

My boys are 11 and 9. We as parents do not have time to moderate. They pay for the server from their own money earned from selling books they wrote. They are accused of bullying. We have written a long list to explain to the other boy (their friend at church)and parents. My boys banned that boy for saying I hate you multiple times for not being allowed to be op. My boys do not steal or destroy anything. They have to deal with other boys doing so.

I would tell the other parents that if they think my kids are bullying their kid, it's pretty clear that their kid would be better off playing Minecraft with a different group of kids.

I wouldn't take the time to write long lists or make big explanations. Your kids own the server. They don't think the other kid fits in with the group. The end.

Obviously, the other kid is telling his parents that he is the perfect little angel and that your boys are mean and cruel, so convincing the parents that their special snowflake is the problem may not be easy. Personally, I think it's ridiculous that the parents are involved at all, and I'm sorry you and your boys have to deal with it. :grouphug:

Your boys are right to ban him or anyone else with that sort of behavior.  If the boy says anything to them, I would step in and tell him to knock it off.  He can get his own server if he wants to.  I would tell the parents the same.  

Ah yes... Minecraft drama.  Just when I thought we were going to be lucky to avoid teen girl drama, we were introduced to tween boys in an online world of their own creation!!  :lol:

DS runs his own server, and he and several friends play on there.  We think it's been a great leadership experience for him.  There have been many instances of moderating, reaching consensus, and diffusing tough situations.  Most have been minor, but we have had issues with one boy.  He and DS have been friends for a long time, but after some poor behavior this summer (multiple times destroying others' things, and then turning around and being angry and belligerent with the other boys after they called him out on it), DS ended up banning him for a good couple months.  DS was offended, and wanted nothing to do with him for a while.  They've since patched things up and it seems to be smoother sailing... for now.  ;)

Our role as parents was support, not moderation.  For the most part, we let him handle it, and we would stand in the background and help if needed.  Only once did we get involved... DH got on and tried to talk it through with the boys.  It didn't help the situation, but I think it made DS and the other boys feel supported with what was happening. 

You should NOT have to constantly moderate on a private server, and if your boys own the server, they have the right to ban anyone they want for any reason.  I do hope your meeting goes well tomorrow.  I would recommend the boys setting some rules (about destruction, language, etc.) and letting all involved know that if those rules are broken, they will be taking a "break" from the server for a while.  Good luck!!

Thank you Jean and Catwoman for your support. Since it is a friend from our small church that we see every week, we are having a peace making meeting tomorrow for the boys to talk and exchange apology notes for the part they did wrong. I think it will go well.

I have never heard of boys exchanging apology notes, so that's something I never would have suggested. Honestly, it seems kind of over the top to me, but maybe I'm imagining it the wrong way.

Please be careful that your boys aren't apologizing for things they didn't do wrong, or minimizing the other boy's role in the situation. Personally, I'm not a big fan of putting things like that in writing, as it can come back to bite you in the butt if the phrasing is awkward or if there are future problems. Also, it seems to be making a much bigger deal out of a typical kids' problem than it really needs to be.

My feeling is that if your boys want to give the kid a second chance, that's very nice of them, but I wouldn't force them to do it just because they see that boy at church every week.

I hope everything goes well, but I would definitely stress the importance of supporting your sons over keeping the peace with the other family. It sounds like the other kid was the one causing the problems, so I wouldn't encourage your sons to do anything more than offer the kid a second chance if his apology seems sincere -- with the definite caveat that he will be out of the group permanently if he commits even one more offense.

Thanks, Cat. The meeting went well. We will help set rules and expectations and be clear and consistent about them. The boys can communicate by phone when their screen time limit is up if they have confusions or things they need to explain to each other. So we hope things will go better from there.

SunnyDays,

Thank you for sharing. Now I don't feel alone. We will help them set the rules and they will keep a white list of players. As long as the rules are clear and kept consistent by the boys, it will be good. I hope as parents we are only involved in supportive role I n very rare occasions.

I am actually glad this happened. My boys got a chance to experience and resolve online conflict with IRL people. Hope this will help them grow more mature.

My DS and I are the only ops on his server. His friends did do some griefing to my kids once. I blacklisted them from the site and let their moms know why they wouldn't be able to log onto the server. They knew the rules going in They thought they it was funny and were just having fun but my daughter was in tears. They apologized and we let them back on. Never had any more problems after that.