Menu

Books re: classical ed... From this list, what should I read first? Thanks!

Is there a not-to-be-missed book in this list?

Wisdom and Eloquence: A Christian Paradigm for Classical Learning by Robert Littlejohn & Charles T. Evans

An Introduction to Classical Education: A Guide for Parents by Christopher A. Perrin

Climbing Parnassus : A New Apologia for Greek and Latin by Tracy Lee Simmons

Classical Education: The Movement Sweeping America by Gene Edward Veith, Jr. & Andrew Kern

Norms and Nobility by David Hicks

Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning by Douglas Wilson.

Who Killed Homer: The Demise of Classical Education and the Recovery of Greek Wisdom by Victor Davis Hanson and John Heath.

Is there a not-to-be-missed book in this list?

Wisdom and Eloquence: A Christian Paradigm for Classical Learning by Robert Littlejohn & Charles T. Evans

An Introduction to Classical Education: A Guide for Parents by Christopher A. Perrin-so short that you can squeeze it in anywhere, anytime :)

Climbing Parnassus : A New Apologia for Greek and Latin by Tracy Lee Simmons

Classical Education: The Movement Sweeping America by Gene Edward Veith, Jr. & Andrew Kern

Norms and Nobility by David Hicks-hands down, my fave! I agree with Tina, and I have this by my bed (or....in my bathroom!) all the time. I loved reading it and love re-reading it

Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning by Douglas Wilson.

Who Killed Homer: The Demise of Classical Education and the Recovery of Greek Wisdom by Victor Davis Hanson and John Heath.

They are all good, but beside reading N & N first, I would consider Wisdom and Eloquence and Recovering the Lost Tools to be later on the list since they are more practice and less theory (IMHO.)

Of course, I agree that you should read Norms and Nobility first, but I have to put in a plug for Climbing Parnassus! I love this book. It challenges us to look at what we have lost by abandoning traditional classical education.

I would wait on Who Killed Homer? It is a very interesting book, but it is about the loss of classical education in our universities. It does make the few classical colleges around look even more interesting though.

Classical Education by Veith and Kern is an interesting book that primarily talks about the classical school movement. (As an aside, I like this book because it was from Andrew Kern that I first herd of the concept of classical education. He used to live in Idaho.)

All of these books are great. (The only one I don't have is Wisdom and Eloquence.) It can be so hard to choose!

http://books.google.com/books?id=9mXKGwAACAAJ&dq=inauthor:Jacques+inauthor:Barzun I love this book and found it to be extraordinarily concise and instructive. I also read From Dawn to Decadence last summer and it really made me pause to be thankful for my Jesuit education. Not one name or concept was unfamiliar to me because of the outstanding profs at Creighton U.Yes I did the work and took more than a full load each semester but I must say this book was a comprehensive revisiting of every course I took at CU. I often stop now as I am educating dd and say a prayer of thanks for those that taught me to think about the ideas that have shaped Western civilization. I wonder if dd will ever appreciate hour long discussions about personhood and the issue of slavery...her eyes tend to glaze over but I remain optimistic that one day she will appreciate socratic method.