Menu

test driving suvs?

gardenmom5

that was our 'date'. go test drive cars to get an idea with what I want to replace my van.  (we tend to replace cars "in an instant, suddenly" and I wanted to have an idea what I'd be looking at.  especially since we prefer used.  I don't need to pay for the privilege of driving a car off the lot.)

we drove a Honda pilot EX-L (without navigation and everything that comes with), and a Toyota highlander platinum, both 3.5L v6 AWD.   not exactly equivalent trims.  If we'd been more impressed with the Honda - I'd probably have asked to test the touring (which I'm not sure they even had in stock.).  which is the top pilot trim. 

we seriously disliked the Honda (and it was supposedly one of the 'nicer' versions  :ack2:  ).  it felt like plastic, it was trimmed out in leather - but it all felt like *cheap* plastic.   it switches to 4cyl if you don't 'need' the power of the six cyl - which is very hard on the engine. we took them up steep hills - the Honda worked, the Toyota was smooth as silk.  I didn't even bother taking the Honda on the freeway - though dh did.   the Toyota is on a camry chasis - so it has a much better turning radius.

as for the highlander platinum - if money was no consideration, I'd have driven it off the lot.  B)  (the moon roof over the middle seat is actually a nice feature.  one of the things I don't like about my van is when I sit in the back - it's 'dark' from outside.)  though running boards would be nice when I give rides to little old ladies or small children.  oh - and the blind spot indicator on the side mirrors - very handy. and the 6sp with sport shifting- could be fun.  I do miss a stick.    (though what would I do with no clutch? ;))  of course, I seriously dislike the dealership we went to and would never buy from them. (their motto is "when you care enough to pay the very most.")  but, they're close.

there are no plans to go buy a car right now - I just dont' want to have something happen where I have to replace my car and no idea what I want!

so - highlander is definitely in contention.  :thumbup: (we really liked it. :001_wub:)   I do plan on looking at the equivalent lexus on the used market when the time comes. 

anyone else have something comparable with slightly more cargo and possibly more comfortable rear passenger seating?  that doesn't get absolutely abysmal mileage?  (I've already dismissed landcruiser as having inad'quate mileage as we don't need something that big.)

I refuse to even look at GM.  but I"d be welcome to suggestions of something else.

I wanted something smaller, more environmentally friendly (like a CRV), he suggested that our 5'10" DS14 who is still growing (and his equally tall friends and all their swim gear) "needed" something roomier.

Last time we bought a car, I brought ds to try out the back seat.  There were several that his size 13 feet didn't fit into.

I thought I was going to buy a Nissan Pathfinder (retired my 9 year old Odyssey which I loved).  I ended up buying a 2 year old Infiniti JX35 (same car as the Pathfinder) with much better features and less money than the platinum Pathfinder.  It's very, very nice and drives like a dream, so nimble compared to my Odyssey.  :lol:

I love it.

ETA - the third row is small but the middle row is very roomy.  

We were able to buy our car using fleet sales at a local credit union. We told then what we wanted, they got email descriptions and quotes from regional dealers, we choose the one that best suited us. Totally able to bypass the local dealer. Might be worth the phone call since you know what you want.

I love my Pilot, but it is a little bit older. I do have the touring model. I know they are changing the body style of the Pilot next year. I wonder if they cheaped out on the design for this year?

anything's possible.  but the switching between 4 cyl and 6 cyl is a deal breaker - even if all things were equal.  that is something that while increasing fuel economy - shortens engine life.

DH talked me into a HIghlander in May. I wanted something smaller, more environmentally friendly (like a CRV), he suggested that our 5'10" DS14 who is still growing (and his equally tall friends and all their swim gear) "needed" something roomier.

We love it. No complaints.

what cars fit your boys?  

while three kids have moved out, I have three who are currently close-to/overish 6'.  (even 2dd is 5'11")  we do still go places as a family  - on occasion.  dudeling may well end up the tallest, and I don't know how long I've got.  (1ds hit his adult height at 14.and towered over his peers (made it easy to pick him out in a crowd)) I had said if I find a car I really like - I will drag 2ds (currently the tallest at just over 6'ish.  dudeling might be taller.) and make him sit in the back seat. 

while I *really* liked the highlander - I want to do "my research" as dh calls it.  then I know there isn't something out there I will wish I bought instead.

I thought I was going to buy a Nissan Pathfinder (retired my 9 year old Odyssey which I loved).  I ended up buying a 2 year old Infiniti JX35 (same car as the Pathfinder) with much better features and less money than the platinum Pathfinder.  It's very, very nice and drives like a dream, so nimble compared to my Odyssey.  :lol:

I love it.

ETA - the third row is small but the middle row is very roomy.  

thanks, I was looking at that one (on a car comparison site) - but barely have info.  can put it on my list to test-drive.

eta: okay - if nissan makes infinity, and toyota makes lexus - who make acura?  is that honda?

I have been driving test cars to replace my odyssey for weeks. The highlander was my top choice but no dealer has any for weeks! So I can't get a good price on one.

I will say that the jeep grand Cherokee Laredo drove better than the highlander. Went over massive road construction bumps and didn't feel them at all. When you hit gas it jumps! But the sales people were so aggressive I didn't buy it.

I ended buying a 4 runner instead. We didn't need the third row which was useless in the highlander for my preteens(not high enough up for legs). And I wanted 4wd to get to some camping spots....it has higher clearance.

But if I was only driving in town the highlander was the best we drove. Didn't like the honda or Mazda. And if I could have gotten a highlander locally I would never had tried the 4runner. The highlander is great. Hence the demand :-)