Menu

Booksale finds lead to search of better books

Justified

At our library used book sale, I found some great gems. Four animal books by George F. Mason, one book on tools by Irving Alder, biography on Galileo by Rebecca B. Marcus, a history of the Greeks by Dorothy Mills, a diary of an early American boy by Eric Sloane, and several more. These books mostly come from out of the 50s and 60s, but some older. I have been actually very frustrated with most of the books in the children's area at our library, and finding these gave me hope.

The modern science and history books for children are poorly written, vague and choppy and there only redeeming quality are the graphics. I love graphics but my kids need a little more challenging text. There seems to be nothing in between these graphic filled children books and the adult books. We aren't ready for textbooks and I prefer that their understanding of history and science not be narrated by just a couple of individuals.

Does anyone have a list of authors/books for children that have depth and cover science and history? I think nonfiction narrative would be the name of this particular style. Age level is upper elementary to middle school. I tried to search the forum for the authors I found today, but I came up empty. I haven't read any of these books and I was curious if reading science books of this age would be a bad idea due to possible out dated info. Any up to date books like this would be great too. Thanks for any help.

I think you do have to be careful with vintage books and science.  As recently as my childhood in the 1970s, brontosaurus were present in kids' books.  That is no longer considered a species.  Geology books might not mention tectonic plate theory.  Astronomy and biology books might similarly present outdated info.

But there are some gems.  Some of the nature books that are based on long hours of actual observation are quite nice.  I'm thinking, for example of A Walk through the Year by Edmund Way Teale.  I have a couple books on electricity and satellites that I really like because they actually explain the concepts in detail.  Things like how the altitude of a satellite determines if it will be geostationary or not.

Joy Hakim has a History of Science set that might be good for you.

I think you do have to be careful with vintage books and science. As recently as my childhood in the 1970s, brontosaurus were present in kids' books. That is no longer considered a species. Geology books might not mention tectonic plate theory. Astronomy and biology books might similarly present outdated info.

I have books that talk about "one day we may even get to the moon!" Also weird racial theories of the past or rather awkward phrasing about Mongoloid features or whatever. It's very disappointing because I love the interesting texts and the assumption that kids are quite curious.

Some great authors of superb vintage History books would be Van Loon, Genevieve Foster, Eva March Tappan, H.A. Guerber, V.M. Hilyer, heck, even Dickens wrote a couple kids History books that were good. There is also a great series of books from the late 1800's called The Story of the Nations written by several different authors and each book is about a specific country/nation.

A great company to check out the site of too is Heritage History. They have a homeschool History curriculum that uses these very old higher quality writings as their base for History.