Menu

How much...

My teacher charged $60/hour for private lessons. She was a classically trained professional singer before she opened her studio. We are in a small town, so this was definitely expensive for the area.

I would not pay this much for lessons for a young child, nor would I pay this much for lessons from a music teacher who was never a professional singer herself.

If I look at the educational background and experience of the music teachers my dc work with (Masters or PhD), I have no problem paying $50 - 60/hour. Their time is worth it. Sure, you can hire a teenager for a lot cheaper, but you won't be getting the same level of technique and knowledge. It does make a difference in the habits (good and bad) that form in students as they are laying the foundations in their music playing techniques. I am learning so much from sitting in on my dc's lessons with these amazing teachers - and I had 10+ years of classical piano training. The depth of knowledge of the teacher can really enrich the learning experience.

If I look at the educational background and experience of the music teachers my dc work with (Masters or PhD), I have no problem paying $50 - 60/hour. Their time is worth it. Sure, you can hire a teenager for a lot cheaper, but you won't be getting the same level of technique and knowledge. It does make a difference in the habits (good and bad) that form in students as they are laying the foundations in their music playing techniques. I am learning so much from sitting in on my dc's lessons with these amazing teachers - and I had 10+ years of classical piano training. The depth of knowledge of the teacher can really enrich the learning experience.

I agree! My girls teacher has her degree and actually teaches music at a college and does her voice lessons there as well. She is awesome. I sat in on their first lesson yesterday. At first she got to know the girls and then she started right in on teaching them. I thought, after about ten minutes, I am definitely getting my money's worth here. I then got up, told her I would see her at the end of the lessons, and left to get myself a chi tea down the street. :) so awesome.

I agree! My girls teacher has her degree and actually teaches music at a college and does her voice lessons there as well. She is awesome. I sat in on their first lesson yesterday. At first she got to know the girls and then she started right in on teaching them. I thought, after about ten minutes, I am definitely getting my money's worth here. I then got up, told her I would see her at the end of the lessons, and left to get myself a chi tea down the street. :) so awesome.

I stay for all their lessons (for all my 4 children - 2 on violin, 2 on classical guitar and one also voice), take notes, video and sometimes photos of technique. It is so helpful in supporting their practice at home. I didn't do this with their piano lessons when they were taking them (as requested by the teacher), and it was definitely not as helpful for me or the child. There is so much to learn about my children, the teacher, the music, and all aspects of what the teacher is looking for that it's so worthwhile. I so wish I'd done this sooner.