Menu

X post: Latin Progression Question

I posted on Logic board, but thought perhaps there would be more experience here. We are on track to finish BBLL2 this year. I've looked at the two options that are recommended to follow it (Latin Via Ovid and Henle) and don't see either as being a great fit for us- dd will still be logic stage.

Has anyone followed BBLL2 with Latin Alive? I would eventually like for dd to be able to take the AP Latin exam or a similar exam. I found old threads, but they seem to be gone.

Thanks!

How old is your kiddo? I'm not familiar with BBLL2, but I started Henle with my son when he was in the 5th grade using the Memoria Press syllabus that goes through only Units 1 & 2 in one year -- so pretty slowly, but doable for a 5th grader. Another option might be Memoria's First Form Latin, which is based on Henle and covers Henle 1 over 4 years.

The slow but steady approach with Latin worked well for ds. He was really able to master the grammar this way. After doing Henle 2 in the 9th grade, he went on to take Lukeion's Latin 3 in the 10th grade and AP Latin in the 11th grade. Hope you find an approach that works for you!

Brenda

I didn't find the answer to your question in these threads, but there were people in them using BB2, so perhaps you can find a name of someone who can give you some BTDT experience. Well, except we can't ask nmoira anymore. :-(

Latin dilemma

What after Lively Latin BB2? Latin Alive? (Promising for names of people to PM)

Latin Alive or Lively Latin

For those of you who do Lively Latin (nmoira thread)

X Post: Can anyone tell me about Lively Latin BB 2?

Good luck!

P.S. I wouldn't go into First Form as it'd be review after LL2. At one point, I did a review of the scope/sequence of the Forms & LL BB2 for this very question.

I started Henle with my son when he was in the 5th grade using the Memoria Press syllabus that goes through only Units 1 & 2 in one year -- so pretty slowly, but doable for a 5th grader. Another option might be Memoria's First Form Latin, which is based on Henle and covers Henle 1 over 4 years.

The slow but steady approach with Latin worked well for ds. He was really able to master the grammar this way. After doing Henle 2 in the 9th grade, he went on to take Lukeion's Latin 3 in the 10th grade and AP Latin in the 11th grade. Hope you find an approach that works for you!

Brenda

We followed the same schedule here, beginning Henle I with the Memoria Press syllabus in grade 5. This was following two years of working through both levels of Latina Christiana for my daughter. We eventually changed over to Laura Berquist's Henle syllabi toward the middle of level I. The Berquist syllabi move faster & were a good fit in the later middle school years. All in all, we spent the better part of four years covering Henle I and II.

I will reiterate that the slow & steady approach worked extremely well for us, too. Henle was a good bit of review in the first year, but that review solidified dd's knowledge of the grammar forms and vocabulary.

After Henle, we moved on to some transitional work using the Bolchazy Carducci Legamus readers, followed by two years of AP Latin (back when there were two Latin tests) in grades 10 and 11, which went very well.

Whatever the curriculum, you probably want to go through a complete high school grammar program, then a year of introduction to reading Latin authors (typically called "Latin 3" by online providers, or you could do it on your own as we did) and then AP work.

In AP Latin, the student is expected to be able to read any Latin author sight unseen & also to prepare specified lines of Caesar and Vergil (lots! it takes the better part of the year) & to write analytical essays based on those readings.

Thank-you! I have a large order I need to put in for RR. I may just order the books for both Latin Alive and MP Henle and take a look, I'd only be out the cost of return shipping for what I don't want.

I really like the looks of the Latin Via Ovid, but I'm not clear if I can buy a TE as a homeschooler, or what the next step would be after it.

http://wsupress.wayne.edu/books/detail/practice-practice

We'll do MP First Start for French (with Duolingo), beginning about the same time, so the MP workbooks might be too much of the same format.

I think Latin Alive is based on Wheelock with an eye to the exams. I'm having a hard time getting a sense of how thorough the grammar is, though. BBLL does well in that regard. CAP just released the last volume of Latin Alive, so I doubt many have gone all the way through.

Thanks again,

I don't know how old your DD is, and I don't know anything about BBLL2, but if you are considering Henle for high school, then one option might be Memoria Press' First Form and Second Form Latin.  Do that for one year each, and then when your DD is high school age, MP recommends jumping into Henle in the middle of the book (since I believe the book is the first two years of high school Latin).

I think through BBLL2 covers roughly the same material as First and Second Form Latin, so whatever MP's advice for after those would probably apply to BBLL2 (which we like far better than the MP material we've seen: Latin Christiana and Prima Latina). We haven't done the history parts of BBLL so far, other than reading it here and there.

I don't know how old your DD is, and I don't know anything about BBLL2, but if you are considering Henle for high school, then one option might be Memoria Press' First Form and Second Form Latin.  Do that for one year each, and then when your DD is high school age, MP recommends jumping into Henle in the middle of the book (since I believe the book is the first two years of high school Latin).

If they've completed BBLL2, FFL & SFL would be almost complete review in terms of grammar. The author of Lively Latin (in the link provided by the OP in the 3rd post of this thread - which I would quote here, but won't, because of the current copyright kerfluffle) says that a student need only do one lesson in Henle 1 Unit 2 on 3rd declension adjectives before being able to start with Unit 5 (40% of the way through) after BB2. 

OP - I think Latin Alive meets your objectives & the samples of LA2 could help you determine if the grammar is enough for you? If you want some review, I'd probably start with LA2 as you it starts with review & you guys can get comfortable with the format. 

kerfluffle.

I want to collect this word. Very descriptive. :0)

ETA, I have not looked at samples of LA!2. I will.

ETA 2- I looked, and I really think Latin Alive will be a good fit for this kiddo and our style of school. LA!1 looks to be mostly review, but we are not in a hurry. I may email CAP to see where to place her.

Thanks!

I want to collect this word. Very descriptive. :0)

ETA, I have not looked at samples of LA!2. I will.

ETA 2- I looked, and I really think Latin Alive will be a good fit for this kiddo and our style of school. LA!1 looks to be mostly review, but we are not in a hurry. I may email CAP to see where to place her.

Thanks!

Please report back what you choose to use and your experience with it. At this point, we will start a big review of LL 1 and LL 2 before we go on with LL 2 Chapter 12. I will need to also consider our options even though we have Latin Prep 1 and 2 as a backup.

I really like the looks of the Latin Via Ovid, but I'm not clear if I can buy a TE as a homeschooler, or what the next step would be after it.

http://wsupress.wayne.edu/books/detail/practice-practice

Hi, Ella,

I was able to buy the teacher's edition from the publisher several years ago. I told them I was a homeschooler, I bought the student text from them also, rather than from Amazon or other vendor (I think that was a requirement, if I am remembering correctly), and it all went smoothly. I don't know if their policy would still be the same, but it worked then.

Hope that helps, and that you find something you like!

OK, I see.  I didn't realize BBLL2 covers high school Latin that is equivalent to Henle.  Thanks for the correction.

If they've completed BBLL2, FFL & SFL would be almost complete review in terms of grammar. The author of Lively Latin (in the link provided by the OP in the 3rd post of this thread - which I would quote here, but won't, because of the current copyright kerfluffle) says that a student need only do one lesson in Henle 1 Unit 2 on 3rd declension adjectives before being able to start with Unit 5 (40% of the way through) after BB2. 

OP - I think Latin Alive meets your objectives & the samples of LA2 could help you determine if the grammar is enough for you? If you want some review, I'd probably start with LA2 as you it starts with review & you guys can get comfortable with the format.