Menu

I'm back. Did ya' miss me?

Howdy everyone. I haven't been here much this summer, barely lurking. I hope everyone has been well, and enjoying their summers.

We had a great time, doing some camping, canning, gardening, art, etc. We built a patio for my Dude's birthday. It was a nice summer.

Lots of news for fall. The biggest is that the kids are going to be attending an online high school this fall. I am so very excited about this.

a. I am so done trying to be both mom and teacher to two fussy teens. This way, I can just go back to being mom, and I think (I am hoping and praying) that it will make relating to them a bit easier. The last 3 years have been tough, attitude-wise. I thought my Boy was tough to deal with, until the Girl started dealing with hormones!

We will be afterschooling for literature, art, music, and speech and debate.

b. While they are doing school, I will be able to work in the studio. Money is oh so very tight right now, and I want to do something to be contribution to my family, while being creatively self-expressed at the same time. So I will be getting my business license in Sept., taking more online art classes, and selling my art in an etsy shop.

That is about it for now, I am hoping to be here a bit more often- you can always pm me, I do check that every week. I also plan to start blogging again.

So what have I missed? A bunch of new babies? Folks moving? Anything I need to know about?

LB

Hey, you!

What a productive summer you've had! Camping, gardening, canning, *and* patio construction? Well done, LB!

I'm so proud of you for getting your business license, and realizing the value of your work. I can't wait to see your etsy shop.

Most of all, though, I can't wait to see you. I'll have breakfast and tea ready when you get here tomorrow.

Hey, you!

What a productive summer you've had! Camping, gardening, canning, *and* patio construction? Well done, LB!

I'm so proud of you for getting your business license, and realizing the value of your work. I can't wait to see your etsy shop.

Most of all, though, I can't wait to see you. I'll have breakfast and tea ready when you get here tomorrow.

You are so sweet! I am looking forward to seeing you, too. I will let you know as soon as I get something in the etsy shop.

LB

Heck yah, you've been missed!!!!!!!!!!!! Good to see you, and I'll be very interested to know how your family likes Insight!! Please keep us posted....and don't be such a stranger.

You're sweet. Thanks for missing me. Makes me all warm and fuzzy. :001_wub:

I hope we like Insight. We know 2 families who used it and loved it last year. It has been like pulling teeth to get all the forms filled out, and everything- there are still some kinks in their system, but I hope it will be good. The Girl is skipping 8th to go right into 9th grade, and the Boy didn't have enough credit to support 11th grade, so is repeating 10th grade. It should be interesting to watch how he handles someone ELSE (not me- yay!) telling him what to do. WHile I get to be down in the studio depths!

You're sweet. Thanks for missing me. Makes me all warm and fuzzy. :001_wub:

I hope we like Insight. We know 2 families who used it and loved it last year. It has been like pulling teeth to get all the forms filled out, and everything- there are still some kinks in their system, but I hope it will be good. The Girl is skipping 8th to go right into 9th grade, and the Boy didn't have enough credit to support 11th grade, so is repeating 10th grade. It should be interesting to watch how he handles someone ELSE (not me- yay!) telling him what to do. WHile I get to be down in the studio depths!

Let me offer you some unsolicited advice. Online classes can be very difficult for kids that are not self-motivated, so I would stay really hard on top of his work in the beginning until he gets the hang of how to really do it. I would recommend that YOU also go through the orientation so that you know how to access his assignments, etc. I have taught online classes and I have found that the kids who do the best are either extremely self-motivated or their parents are very involved. I'm sure you will be involved, but I would still recommend hitting it hard from the beginning and then lightening up later. Besides, he is still already in the mode of mom nagging anyway. (Not that you ever nag, of course!!)

Let me offer you some unsolicited advice. Online classes can be very difficult for kids that are not self-motivated, so I would stay really hard on top of his work in the beginning until he gets the hang of how to really do it. I would recommend that YOU also go through the orientation so that you know how to access his assignments, etc. I have taught online classes and I have found that the kids who do the best are either extremely self-motivated or their parents are very involved. I'm sure you will be involved, but I would still recommend hitting it hard from the beginning and then lightening up later. Besides, he is still already in the mode of mom nagging anyway. (Not that you ever nag, of course!!)

Yep. I completely agree. We all went to the physical orientation together, and that is what the principal said, too. We have out schedules written up, and our routines in place.

THe other thing is that the online teachers call them twice a week for the first two weeks, and then once a week after that. I think that will help, too. I was very worried at first, as the Boy isn't motivated at all. But we have been working all summer on being integrity with chores, and other responsibilities, and I am hoping that will help. He also gets that HE is the one who didn't pass 10th grade. He is so much more motivated now that he gets that HE is responsible for his successes and failures.

I do plan on really being there for the first month or so, and I am doin gthe orientation with them, as you suggested. I sure hope this works!

LB