Menu

The Odyssey and the Iliad- versions for read-aloud with a young child?

My dd4 is thoroughly fascinated by Greek Mythology. We have used a multitude of resources, and she can't seem to get enough. I was worried, as it is very obviously more than a bit, uh, gory for young kids:)

However, this kid can be really sensitive on things, with the exception of the natural world. I think the myths are so 'out there' that she can explore the ideas without getting upset. And of course, the fact that she LOVES it:)

So. After references to both epics, she really wants to read them. I bought her the collection by Mary Pope Osborne (Tales from the Odyssey) thinking that would fill the need. I had planned to read them with her, but she took off with volume 1 and finished it in a day! I gave her volume 2, and she immediately asked if there was another book with more in it. I am not sure what she means, but the quality of the writing IS not the greatest. It feels stunted, and in her words 'isn't beautiful', lol.

Does anybody know of any other versions for younger, advanced readers? We can do it as a read-aloud, but she isn't ready for the originals!

I saw the Cross book in the library, and it does look nice.

Other options - Sutcliffe w/illustrations, but the language is somewhat obscure. Some kids may enjoy reading about the "fair-cheeked" Helen, but my kid did not. Zero retention.  :glare:

When we moved on to the Odyssey I did pull out Osborne, and he enjoyed that. He could read it himself, so yes, the prose is quite simple. It is quite complete though. I think the Cross version is more abridged.

Then one day my DH came home all excited from the B&N, "Look what we found!" Illiad and Odyssey from Classic Starts. I was like, really?  :huh:  But the Iliad has been good so far. More straightforward than Black Ships, and not as simple as Osborne. And there's been retention!

Odds Bodkin has an amazing audiobook of the Odyssey.

My now-22 year old misremembered when he told his public school teacher, "Oooh! Ooooh! I remember that line! It's from Homer's Odyssey! My mom used to read that bedtime story to me when I was a little kid! I love that little kid's bedtime story!" and got himself out of the vo tech track into the college prep track, lol.

I read him the Lattimore translation I had left over from college when he begged me, but he wouldn't have begged me if it wasn't for Odds Bodkin in the car.

I tried Rosemary Sutcliff's retellings for the current six year old, but I liked them better than he did so they're probably going back to the library.

DD6 absolutely LOVES the Pope Osborne audio version.  We had listened to it on a long car trip last winter, mostly, I thought, for the 11 year old's benefit.

A few days later DD6 comes to me and says, "Can I listen to that story about the guy?  The one who goes on a long trip and loses most of his friends?"  Apparently she enjoyed it more than the 11 year old did.  I had to purchase a copy since we got ours from the library.

I think she has it memorized at this point.

It is old fashioned but I liked all of Padraic Colum's books.

We also liked Hugh Lupton's versions of The Illiad and Odyssey[1]. They text was good and the illustration were wonderful.

[1] Here are some links. We liked the large format versions which may be these [??]

http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Achilles-Advanced-Readers-Classics/dp/1846868009/ref=pd_sim_b_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=0V3WDAMYXTTG3HEMFFSZ

http://www.amazon.com/The-Adventures-Odysseus-Hugh-Lupton/dp/184686447X/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y

I purchased some of the myth books by Roger Lancelyn Green, part of the Puffin Classics series.  So far DD has only read the Egyptian Myths book, but I have the Greek titles on deck for when we reach that section of SOTW.  From what I have seen of your posts about your DD, I think that my DD is similar in both reading aptitude and sensitivity.  The Egyptian Myths book was not too challenging, and did not trigger any sensitive reactions.

Here's the link to the author's page on Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/Roger-Lancelyn-Green/e/B000AQ6MLA/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1410378787&sr=1-2-ent.

I should also note that I have only skimmed the books, but have not completely pre-read them myself.  So take my recommendation with that in mind :)

I purchased some of the myth books by Roger Lancelyn Green, part of the Puffin Classics series. 

Generally, I like these books. I view them as 3rd-4th grade transition to Howard Pyle's books at a 4th-6th gr level. They are a similar level to Padraic Colum's books... somewhat less old fashioned and more english... Really good.

It is old fashioned but I liked all of Padraic Colum's books.

We also liked Hugh Lupton's versions of The Illiad and Odyssey[1]. They text was good and the illustration were wonderful.

[1] Here are some links. We liked the large format versions which may be these [??]

http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Achilles-Advanced-Readers-Classics/dp/1846868009/ref=pd_sim_b_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=0V3WDAMYXTTG3HEMFFSZ

http://www.amazon.com/The-Adventures-Odysseus-Hugh-Lupton/dp/184686447X/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y

These look really good. Funnily enough, she asked for more on Achilles after Odysseus meets him in the land of the dead, so I just ordered that one to see if she likes the style:)

Something she may enjoy is the A-Maze-ing Minotaur: http://www.amazon.com/-Maze-ing-Minotaur-Juliet-Rix/dp/1847804314/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1410403652&sr=8-22&keywords=Minotaur+maze

It is a short book but the illustrations draw you in and you can have fun following the maze of the labyrinth to help get the Minotaur.

This website shows some of the pages where you can see the maze: http://jillrbennett.wordpress.com/2014/07/20/amazing-myths/

I read The Children's Homer to my girls when they were six and eight and wrote about it here: http://www.hopeisthewordblog.com/2012/10/18/read-aloud-thursday-the-childrens-homer-by-padraic-colum/

Thank you for sharing! I have looked for samples, and I think the Padraic Colum version is what I am aiming for. I think we will do the Sutcliff Black Ships Before Troy, and then move to this as a read-aloud if she is so inclined. I think she will love the language. She is very good about asking the meaning of a word if she doesn't know, and I allow her to faintly underline any words in pencil so she can look back. This looks wonderful:)

Padric Colum was a favorite here (My DD constructed the Odyssey out of Legos at about age 6).

I will give one caveat-if your DD tries the NME, don't do the Iliad/Odyssey subtests until she's read the actual version used on the test. My DD went from Gold to bronze her first year because Osborne, Colum, and Sutcliff all were just enough different from the "official" version of the Iliad to throw her off. Since the subtests are intended for middle school and higher students, they tend to use versions studied in those grade levels.

By the way, thanks for this thread. I remembered how much we enjoyed our "Homer phase" this spring, and thought DD could use a break from comic books, so I pulled Tales from the Odyssey out and left it on the coffee table where she would find it when she put her Calvin & Hobbes down. Sure enough, she pounced as soon as she saw it, and...she's now on page 228 while she eats her lunch. :lol: