Menu

Davidson Young Scholars Program

Kerileanne99

As part of our most recent neuropsych eval for Alex, the psychologist recommended that we apply, in the hopes that we can find more opportunities and resources. Alex will be five in December (already!) and so I just spent some time on the website.

But honestly, unless I am missing something, I cannot see that there are many opportunities for five-year-olds. Even the Summer Stars program doesn't start until age 8 or so.

For those of you who have done it, what (if any) benefits are there for doing it at a young age? It would definitely be nice to put her together with other kids, and I would love to meet other parents...I am just not sure if this is a possibility at 5.

Any thoughts? Are there opportunities or other benefits I am not seeing?

We didn't apply for DYS until 8, but I'd say the main benefits at that age would be the connection with other parents, and, simply, having it done. If you have the scores now, I'd be inclined to go ahead and apply so you don't have to worry about which scores are acceptable/putting together a portfolio at age 8-9, which, if your DD is like mine, is when she's probably going to demand more emotionally and socially. I didn't see a need at 4, when it was recommended that we apply ASAP, but by age 8, I was grasping at straws, trying to find something that will work. DYS, through the website, seminars, pen pals, and through meeting others involved, has given my DD the awareness that she does have peers and she's not alone, and that, by itself, has made going through the process worth it.

If you have a local network of PG kids/families, you may well not get anything extra from DYS, but it's been worth it for us.

The main benefit for me is being part of their private pages.  Connections with parents of PG kids has been incredibly helpful- for me.  There was no help for advocating, and we do not plan on going to Reno.  I haven't even bothered sending in younger kids scores yet because it won't be any more helpful.  Their email lists are somewhat helpful too.   I don't know where you live.  I am in CO and PGR (profoundly gifted retreat) has been wonderful- they have an east coast retreat too.  My kids have connected at the retreat and have some friends that they really enjoy.

If you have a local network of PG kids/families, you may well not get anything extra from DYS, but it's been worth it for us.

I think that this would be the primary benefit to us. Locally, there is absolutely nothing. Not a single group to be found. There are some references to groups either 100 miles north or south of us, which might be a possibility at some point, but I haven't truly checked them out. In addition, driving her myself would prove challenging.

The main benefit for me is being part of their private pages. Connections with parents of PG kids has been incredibly helpful- for me. There was no help for advocating, and we do not plan on going to Reno. I haven't even bothered sending in younger kids scores yet because it won't be any more helpful. Their email lists are somewhat helpful too. I don't know where you live. I am in CO and PGR (profoundly gifted retreat) has been wonderful- they have an east coast retreat too. My kids have connected at the retreat and have some friends that they really enjoy.

Good to know:)

Colorado is top of the list for places we would love to move to. Hubby actually got a position at Colorado School of Mines, and we ended up not being able to go for health reasons...those have changed, so we have hope!

For us the biggest benefit was connecting with other families in our region and with other parents online. The e-lists are a helpful source of information. If your child already has qualifying scores and it won't require additional expense for more testing, I can't see a downside to applying.

If you already have the scores, go ahead and apply. It's not a difficult application process.

We applied for my daughter when she was 5, mainly because we were hoping their team could help advocate for her at her school, but by the time she got accepted we had already decided to pull her and homeschool.

She's done one live webinar and several seminars on the message board. I'm doing the Raising Resilient Children one right now. Richard Rusczyk does one periodically on developing mathematical talent. The nice thing is, the seminars get archived so even if you didn't get a chance to participate you can still go back and read through the ones that interest you.