Menu

High School Japanese

Yes, when I'm not on my tablet, I'll share some links. Irasshai by Georgia public broadcasting would be a good place to start for the very beginning learner.

I will have to point dd15 towards that.  I am not teaching it for credit to her but she is interested in learning some every since we met a Japanese woman that was a chaperone for an exchange group.  DD was enthralled with what she learned that day and now wants to learn more of the language, but she is going to do it as a self taught, for fun thing.  I am going to look into that for her.

We're doing Japanese this year but my daughter is an avid watcher of anime and already had a lot of the pronunciation down before we started.  We're using Rosetta Stone, Genki and White Rabbit Kanji cards for her.  She has gotten ahead of me because I was going to keep pace with her.  There are lot of great videos on youtube that are really helpful as well like the ones from JapanesePod 101, JapanesesocietyNYC, and others.

With my younger daughter we're using Tuttle's Beginning Japanese. It goes at a bit of a slower pace and doesn't have all the exercises in hiragana and katakana right away like in Genki (which is what the use in colleges).  We're doing Genki at the rate of 1 unit per month.

Irasshai has free videos and worksheets. http://www.gpb.org/irasshai

There are books available from Amazon for Irasshai. We started off using Irasshai, which was great to gauge interest. It is set up for a 3 year high school program. We've also used parts of Beginning Japanese and are using Genki this year. I also recommend the White Rabbit kanji cards, they're well beyond a simple flash card. 

Japanese is a difficult language and the learning curve, imo, is much greater than something like Spanish. For a child who is interested and invested in learning Japanese, it's worth exploring as a high school credit. 

We used Irasshai last year and it was good for a beginner. We are now using BYU Independent Study for credit. We chose the teacher option which gives him weekly class time and he has to set up a time to do 15 minute talking sessions with the TA (1 per lesson/7 lessons). Each lesson is taking 2-3 weeks and it is considered a semester course worth 0.5 credit. They offer 4 semesters: Year 1, Part 1 and Part 2; Year 2, Part 1 and Part 2. So far it's going well.

Forgot to mention, we also purchase Japanese readers and she watches movies in Japanese. Many say the language is difficult, but if they are really interested they will pick it up quite easily. My daughter says to her, it makes more sense than any other language. She speaks Japanese all day. Even my toddler is starting to speak it. 

Forgot to mention, we also purchase Japanese readers and she watches movies in Japanese. Many say the language is difficult, but if they are really interested they will pick it up quite easily. My daughter says to her, it makes more sense than any other language. She speaks Japanese all day. Even my toddler is starting to speak it. 

My 9th grader is also using Irasshai (with text/workbook).

Bee Happy - can you share the movies and readers that your dd uses to supplement?

My 9th grader is also using Irasshai (with text/workbook).

Bee Happy - can you share the movies and readers that your dd uses to supplement?

This is one of the readers. There are other volumes as well. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1482373343/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1482373343&linkCode=as2&tag=daycarel&linkId=42OIBIOGZT5A563Z

We also picked up books entirely in Japanese from Half Price Bookstore. She likes to pick them up and try to work her way through them. 

She watches a ton of (age appropriate) anime. Here is a list of movies she's working her way through: http://www.imdb.com/search/title?languages=ja%7C1&title_type=feature&num_votes=10000,&sort=user_rating,desc

Hope that helps!

This is one of the readers. There are other volumes as well. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1482373343/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1482373343&linkCode=as2&tag=daycarel&linkId=42OIBIOGZT5A563Z

We also picked up books entirely in Japanese from Half Price Bookstore. She likes to pick them up and try to work her way through them. 

Those readers are really interesting! Thank you for posting that. We picked up a few books in Japanese as well.