Menu

"Less dependent" learners....does anyone else do this???

A couple of my high school aged kids seem to work pretty well on their own, checking in with me from time to time. I am considering for history to purchase the Teacher's Edition and giving it directly to them so they can get the more detailed ideas/analysis for themselves there. I'm looking at BJU, but this question could easily apply to any textbook curriculum.

I would still give all the section quizzes and tests and discuss with them where they want to.

I trust they wouldn't look ahead and cheat on tests or quizzes.

Does anyone else do this?

Any cons?

Thanks!

I think allowing some access to teacher's materials when you aren't teaching it yourself can be helpful, but I would be careful about making the temptations too great.  Even small reminders that there are pages they aren't supposed to peek ahead at will be useful.  For example, my DD has me put post-it notes over the answers in the LoF math books so she can't peek while she's still working on the assignment.  Yes, she technically *could* still peek/cheat, but the post-it provides enough of a clear boundary to keep her honest.

Remember, too, that it's easy for kids to look at the TM and say "oh yeah, I get that" ... but not really get it.  You should still checkpoint with them once in a while.

--Janet

A couple of my high school aged kids seem to work pretty well on their own, checking in with me from time to time. I am considering for history to purchase the Teacher's Edition and giving it directly to them so they can get the more detailed ideas/analysis for themselves there. I'm looking at BJU, but this question could easily apply to any textbook curriculum.

I would still give all the section quizzes and tests and discuss with them where they want to.

Does anyone else do this?

Any cons?

Thanks!

A lot of temptation with little chance of being caught can be too much for many kids. 

I'd prefer to just cut them out of the book if possible. 

My dd did BJU 8th grade US Histroy last year and loved it.  I had her do the section quizzes for review purposes only, and then counted the tests for a grade.  She worked independently through the chapter.  We then took a day before the test and discussed the material before she took the test.  My dd absolutely loved the BJU text.  I am not a big textbook fan in general (my oldest uses TOG which I love), but dd really enjoyed the BJU textbook.  I think you could easily give your kids the teacher manuals since the test answers are not in it.  

Mjbucks1,

My oldest two boys have really like BJU also, so much that I think odest daughter wants to try it. I spoke with a "Homeschool Consultant" at BJU today and explained what I was thinking. She was supportive without seeing a big down side and understanding that we'd be careful about the section quiz answers. :-)

We're using this approach for maths & sciences. Sometimes I mark, sometimes they mark. For biology DD2 & I both do the questions, swap books & mark each others. I find having them mark at least some of their own work is beneficial, since they look at what they did wrong & what they should have done, rather than just the number of ticks or crosses.

I don't know how much of a factor it is that they'll sit exams at the end of the course.